HybridZ

zx questions

Guest zmaize

Guest zmaize

ok this is my first post on this board.

I have an 83 zx that im planning to put a 327 in. I already have the block, and i'm getting my dad's friend to help me build it.

From what i've read on this board so far, the zx small block conversion is not easy, but it is possible with the proper amount of planning.

I've taken the advise of 99% of the members here. I ordered the jtr manual. Its on its way. icon_smile.gif

I know the manual is geared toward early z's, so here are a few questions which i think pertain to zx only:

-digital dash. Has anyone attempted this? Did everything still work? (speedo, tach, fuel, temp, etc..)

-power rack n pinion. Does this provide an insurmountable obstacle? If so, how hard is it to convert to (eek!) manual steering?

-T-tops. These have to take something (however small) away from the structural stability. Will front and rear strut braces be enough to compensate? Will i need a roll bar/cage?

-Transmission. I absolutely positively want a manual. Probably five speed. What's the best choice for zx? Can i just snake one out of a camaro at a junkyard? Or do i need a specific model? Do the mounts from the msa kit work on manual trannies? Oh and what about the hydraulic clutch? does it work with gm trannies?

That's about it. Sorry for the flood of questions; i hope you haven't heard them a million times before.

I appreciate any input

thanks.

icon_smile.gif

ok, since youve picked the right drivetrain ill help you, just kidding welcome aboard.

im not sure how the clearance for power steering will interfere with the swap, youd probably want closer to manual steering with the power youll have, i think youll still have rack and pinion, which is ok, only difficulties is parallel parking, still not that bad. ok this is my first post on this board.

From what i've read on this board so far, the zx small block conversion is not easy, but it is possible with the proper amount of planning.

I know the manual is geared toward early z's, so here are a few questions which i think pertain to zx only:

-digital dash. Has anyone attempted this? Did everything still work? (speedo, tach, fuel, temp, etc..)(ooooh, cant answer that one)

-power rack n pinion. Does this provide an insurmountable obstacle? If so, how hard is it to convert to (eek!) manual steering? should be easy to convert, all you have to do is disengage the power steering pump, which would take a lot of fab to work with the v8 in there.

-T-tops. These have to take something (however small) away from the structural stability. Will front and rear strut braces be enough to compensate? Will i need a roll bar/cage? (yeah, assuming no rust, the zx are built a little tougher than earlier)

(roll cages are nice too, depending on how you are gonna drive it, would be nice!)

-Transmission. I absolutely positively want a manual. Probably five speed. What's the best choice for zx?( its not for a zx, its for a 327!) Can i just snake one out of a camaro at a junkyard?

( the maro five speeds that came behind the 305 wont take a whole lot of abuse, it rated at 300lbs)you could go with a tremec t550) or find yourself a t56-speed, which is really nice, and can be hand for a lofty price or not so lofty depending on your hustle skills, but worth it cause its tough and has a double overdrive)

Or do i need a specific model? Do the mounts from the msa kit work on manual trannies?( not sure, i think jtr makes a t56 mount) Oh and what about the hydraulic clutch?( yes it does, the t56 may want to go hydro throwout bearing) does it work with gm trannies?( tilton 1" with stock datsun slave has me bangin muncie till the cows come home)

not sure about t-5

hope this helps

That's about it. Sorry for the flood of questions; i hope you haven't heard them a million times before.

I appreciate any input

thanks.