HybridZ

Tranny prob fixed and 4N71B transbrake!

240Z Turbo

GOOD NEWS:

Man, I have been fighting this tranny to make it manually shift the 2-3 with no success. I was having to goose the throttle at 6800rpm in order for it to shift into 3rd gear. Also, it would automatically kick down into second from 3rd all the time. Well, after some talk with my tranny guy and level 10 we decided to take the vacuum line for the modulator and hook it to the inlet of the turbo and whalla the problem is fixed. I did have some flaring problems on the 2-3 shift but was able to rid it by adjusting the modulator. Man, this badboy slaps into 3 very hard.

BAD NEWS:

Now, for the problem. I have assumed that my stall was around 4100 because I could never load it in 3rd gear under full boost. check this! The stall is 5700rpm. I can put the car in drive and gun it off the line letting the tranny make the shifts. Because the tranny shifts below 5700 my tach stays pegged at 5700rpm in 1st, 2nd and 3rd until I overcome it at about 100mph. I guess I will have to take advantage of that 1 free adjustment and have it lowered to about 4000rpm.

BEST NEWS:

I spoke with Pat at Level 10 performance and he is faxing me the instructions on how to install a transbrake onto the 4N71B tranny. He says the mod is quite simple and will only require that I buy a solenoid to activate highgear(reverse) when the tranny is engaged in 1st gear. Basically, you put the car in 1st and use a solenoid to send line pressure to reverse activating it. This basically locks the tranny up and allows you to build as much boost on the line as you can handle! Yea baby!

• 5 years later...