HybridZ

NZR: Need Ford Auto Tranny info

Trevor

Specifically the E04D in a E150, 2WD, 5.8L V8.

I'm searching because Parts interchange lists show different transmissions for the 87-94 then 95-96.

- what would prevent me putting the 1995 trans in a 1994 vehicle? TCM or wiring change? Internal trans change?

The shift solenoid is different. I can't tell you how different they are, but they're different part numbers. Everything else in the transmission should be pretty much the same, internally. It could have a different size tail shaft / housing.

• 2 months later...

Since I have little to no experience with automatic transmissions, I put this off as long as I could. But the noisy transmission was getting louder, and making me more nervous. I did a lot of research and got a pre-94 pull out from the local recyclers. It took me 2 days to R&R this 200 pound beasty. I'm sore from crawing in and out from under the van to grab the right size tools. (I need a short skinny toolbox on casters!) I swear Ford used every bolt size from 8mm to 19mm just for good measure. Except for the torque converter bolts, they are still 3/8"-24 SAE and stupid me I tried to un-torque one with a 12-point socket. Rounded that baby off like it was made of plastic....GRRRRRR. Quick trip to harbor freight tools for a set of bolt extractor sockets (like a really aggressive METRINCH) later and its all apart on the floor.

I thought surely I had the torque converter seated propery in the forward pump gears of the replacement transmission, (felt like 3 clicks) but apparently not. I didn't read the write-up that says there will be 1/2" of clearance between the bolts and the bellhousing - until too late. So I bolted it all up and......motor is locked against the trans and won't turn.

Drop the trans, assuming the forward pump gears are crushed (everything I've read says they will be) So I order a remanufactured pump, and start all over again.

GRRRRR.

When I went to roll my modified transmission jack under the van for the 3rd time, it dumps ball bearings all over the floor. So I need to overhaul the jack before I get back to the van.

GRRRRR.

Trans $800, Seal, Pan gasket and filter $27, torque converter $FREE, Reman pump $130, 16 qts fluid $32, angle iron to modify trans jack $18.....what's next?

This adventure will soon be exceding the $1,000 limit I "mentally" set when debating on DIY or just paying for it at Aamco.