HybridZ

Should a BOV be open at idle or not?

cygnusx1

I have a TurboXS BOV type H or R (I can't remember) It vents to atmosphere as well. Yes Mine is partly open at idle, but only a hair. It took some adjusting to get it there. I have had it adjusted open and closed, and settled for the driveability that I wanted, and have settled with it a bit open. I'll go for a recirculating BOV someday.

Not to hijack the thread, but what is the best way to plumb a 1" recirculation line back into the stock AFM/turbo boot? Recirculating my BOV is has been on my to-do list for a while now. I've spent hours at various hardware stores looking for a fitting that would work without creating a restriction in the the pipe. I've also looked through the Jeggs and Summit catalogs. There must be some type of "hose tap" that could be used for this purpose. I may have to replace the stock boot with a hardpipe with the proper fittings but didn't really want to resort to that.

I remember watching an episode of Horsepower TV a while back where they were plumbing a vacuum line into an existing hose. They drilled a hole in the rubber boot and installed some type of tap fitting that matched the interior curvator of boot which was "supplied by the manufacturer" of the device they were installing. Any ideas?

Phil,

You can have my boot if I still have it. It's a little bit cheezy but it worked for me for a few years with no issues. Basically, I bought a PVC transom pass through fitting, cut a hole in the boot and screwed in the fitting. Then I spent about an hour on the grinder, shaping the fitting that protruded inside to boot for better flow. Yes, it's not perfect but it made 265HP/300ft-lbs like that. My boot is shortened to fit it into the 280Z but you can simply put a hole in your boot and screw in my fitting.

Cheezy, Cheap, Looks OK, and makes me fast. That should be my motto.

c01dga12s.gif

36895kp2l.gif

^

^

^----This part is inside the boot

I rounded and thinned it out on a bench grinder.

Thanks for the offer Dave, I think I stared at transom fittings for a while the other day. If that's the best alternative available, then I'll have to run with it and shape the interior portion like you did. I found that the fittings came in a 45 degree bend also which would help direct the air flow towards the compressor wheel.