HybridZ

R200 ratio change?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Is it possible to change the gear ratio in an R200? mine has 3.90s and with the turbohydro 350 the rpms were much to high on the freeway. Am in the process of installing a 700r4 which should help, but I'm wondering if I can fine-tweek the gearing without getting another diff.

My

It's generally a lot cheaper to just get another diff as used may range from free to $150 for common ratios and more if ratios are rare. The only time you need to go into a diff for ratio changes is usually because you have a rare NISMO set of gears alone to be installed in which you need a donor diff and a qualified shop to setup the gears. When you have a NISMO set they're generally very rare so you want to be sure they're setup right. A bud has some 3.36 NISMO R200 R&P's he's asked me to sell and if/when I get to installing my 3.15's I won't be cutting any corners on a proper install.

Ross (unfortunately I can't always be cheap) C

Guest Anonymous

thanks for the info guys, me and my Dad (mostly my Dad!) have switched the 350turbo for a 700r4 so that should help, I hope it's just right with the 3:90s but am gathering info in case. Put the JTR conv. kit in at same time and will know soon.

Marks 350Z8

i havent tried it but ive heard you can swap teh ring and pinion from any r-200 open or lsd. most of the time this requires buying an entire diff. If i was still in japan i could get tons of open diffs with all kinds of ratios. but now that i think about it prabably not what youd need if your runing high rpms with the 3.90 allready. 390 and 411 are the most available