HybridZ

Stock T56 shifter - junk!

BLKMGK

I finally got aorund to putting a handle on my T56. Went through the gears, feels good. Reverse is a bear though - ick. Then I noticed something, in gear the stick move like half an inch foreaft and about a 1/4 inch side to side! It's th eshifter I'm sure - phooey! I had hoped to skip the expense of an aftermarket shifter but it looks like I'm destined for one. $160+ down the drain it looks like. Will have to see if my friend's shop can work a deal for me. I had heard the stock shifter weren't too hot, I should've checked this sooner...

Guest JAMIE T

I feel your pain Jim. I have been complaining about my shifter in my Z28 since we got the car. I just haven't gotten a new one becuase we don't race the car much, only stoplight to stoplight stuff. One time at the track, I went to put it in third, and nothing happened, it went in a gate, but it was not third. A freind that was watching trackside later asked why the reverse lights came on when I was going for third icon_eek.gif As you now know reverse is not easy to "accidentilly" go into. I have heard similar stories on Fbody bb's. Spend the extra and get a Pro 5.0 shifter, they make one for T56's too.

Jamie

Project DEATHSTAR

Well after reading both your posts... I hate to say this but Mine is VERY tight and it is a facotry unit...I did have it shortened, but it was tight when I got the trans... Although I do like the new shifters being offered...

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Mines ok with the stock unit (it has the camaro unit with the vibration bushing on the shift shaft). I'm not sure what is considered tight, I may have a little play before it starts to engage a gear, but not that bad, in gear, maybe a little play, but I don't find it a problem. The shifter ball on it is stitched leather and kinda big, but a white hurst ball is planned later. Mines stock height, I thought about shortening, but it falls out ok, maybe a tad high but for my uses its ok. I'd be lying if I said an aftermarket one wouldn't be nice though. icon_smile.gif

Lone

[ May 10, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]