HybridZ

16x7-F and 16x8-R?

I'm looking to pull the trigger on a set of wheels for the Z and I need a little advice.

I'm looking to get the XXR 513 rims as seen around here and ebay.

I'm wondering if I should get the staggered set which is 16x7 +15ET for the fronts and the 16x8 with 0ET for the rears? Or do I just get the 16x8 with 0 offset for all 4 corners. I will be running 225/50 up front and a 245/45 out back. Which will be acceptable for clearancing the fenders up front as I don't want to have rubbing up front.

Any input would be great guys

Thanks

jason

What zed to you have a 240z or a 260z/280z? There is a difference in the front strut spring perch location so it can make a difference. I had a 240z with stock spring perches and when I purchased the car it had 16x9 on all 4 corners without guard mods. I then replaced these (as a 245/45/16 which was ideal for the rim were too wide and guard mods would be required) so I go some 16x8 +10 on all 4 corners with no issues anywhere. Here is a pic rims are Rota RB-R in hyperblack 16x8 + 10 tyres are 225/45/16 with a rim protector type side wall. These rims would have clearance issues on a 260z/280z front strut so you would be better with the 16x8 +4. With a 0 offset you might have clearance issue on the rear depending on the tyre ie how it sits on the rim and the size as there appears to be less room on the rear than the fronts.

240z-last-clean_thumb.jpg

What zed to you have a 240z or a 260z/280z? There is a difference in the front strut spring perch location so it can make a difference. I had a 240z with stock spring perches and when I purchased the car it had 16x9 on all 4 corners without guard mods. I then replaced these (as a 245/45/16 which was ideal for the rim were too wide and guard mods would be required) so I go some 16x8 +10 on all 4 corners with no issues anywhere. Here is a pic rims are Rota RB-R in hyperblack 16x8 + 10 tyres are 225/45/16 with a rim protector type side wall. These rims would have clearance issues on a 260z/280z front strut so you would be better with the 16x8 +4. With a 0 offset you might have clearance issue on the rear depending on the tyre ie how it sits on the rim and the size as there appears to be less room on the rear than the fronts.

Sorry for not posting all of the information. It is indeed a 280Z, lowered on eibhac springs and KYB struts.

If I understand you correctly you are saying that I will have less inner clearance up front due to the strut spring perch so the 7" rim with the +15mmET would be better to clear the perches?

From where I sit based on my (albeit limited knowledge) my calculations say that the backspacing between the two rims a 7" with a 15mm positive ET will have a backspacing of 4.09" (3.5" is 0 offset, add in 15mm which is .590") whereas the backspacing on the 8" with 0mmET is only 4". The 7" rim would have the outter lip sit futher in by .59" than the 8" but based on the above I do not see it sitting any better with regards to the inner clearance aspects. Please point out my flaws as I think I'm missing something. :hs:

Not quite right. You see the 7" rim is infact almost 8" from outer rim to outer rim and the 8" rim is 9". So an 8" rim with a zero offset is more like 4.5" backspace and a 7" with 0 is 4" so +15 will then add your extra 0.59" so both will have almost the same backspace of 4.5".

The max of the 280z due to the lower spring perch is around 4.5" to 4.65" so a 8" with +4 would be good. The 0 will work too but you need to be careful of the tyre choice as they could catch on the guards and it will be rear that will have more issues at the 0 offset.

Here is a different (more of a side shot of my old 240z) with the 16x8 +10. Now on fronts I had a disk setup that went over the hubs so this was the same as running a 6mm spacer so that would make the rims on the front sit the same as the 16x8 +4. You can see there is room on the rear (you might also make out that rear guards are rolled/trimmed, this was done before I purchased the car for when it had the 16x9 with a 245/45/16 fitted) so with a 225/45/16 you can see on the 16x8 it is a good fit.

As the 240z spring perch is almost 1" higher you can get away with more backspace on the fronts like almost 4.9" (this is what the 16x8 +10 end up with, and they would clear with my old brake setup which was stock) These would not work on a 260z that I tried them on (we did not get the S30 bodied 280z but our later 260z has the same suspension setup as your S30 280z)

So I would recommend 16x8 +4 on a 280z, these will be very close on the fronts so a 245/45/16 will more than likely cause rubbing. So a 225/50 or 225/45 would be the best bet. The only reason I say this is you will have the same rim on all 4 corners ie you can rotate the rims/tyres which you can't do with the staggered setup.

However your investment in rims your choice. I have been there and done that a number of time with rims and for a car with stock guards I liked the setup that was on my last 240z you can see by the pic the combo worked well on the 240z with the 16x8 +10 so I think if you have stock type brake setup ie no disk over the hub then 16x8 +4 are almost perfect on the zed cars. A 0 offset gets a bit close to the lip of the guards.

Cheers

Mike

16x8+10_thumb.jpg

What zed to you have a 240z or a 260z/280z? There is a difference in the front strut spring perch location so it can make a difference.

NZeder do you know if the spring perch height is the same for early and late model 260z? Or is the early 260z the same height as a 240z?

Not sure about the hight as I don't have a 240z anymore. Re the fit of rims. I found this thread on the Australia Z site/forum. You will see pics of a car fitted with 16x7 16x8 both +4 Rota RB-R (you can tell they are RB-R as you can see the flatter shape to the spokes and you can also see the wheel nuts) if you look further down the thread you will see another zed with Rota RB install in 16x7 +4 you will notice the more curve to the spoke and also the wheel nuts are more hidden in the deeper holes in the rims due to the thicker bit around the mounting made possible by the more curve on the spoke.

I personally like the RB-R look

But this thread does show you a zed with the 16x7+4 and 16x8+4 with 225 and 245. Hope this helps

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php?topic=2135.0;topicseen

Regards

Mike

I'm thinking about getting 17x8.5 Rota RB-R wheels for my 1975 280 with stock suspension. They have +4 offset and will probably be using 225/45 tires. Seems like it would be cutting it close but it may fit. Do you think it would fit and not rub on the springs and also fit well under the fender?

I also like the look of the RB-R. I want hyperblack with polished lip. It doesn't seem like Rota makes 17x7.5 RB-R to run staggered wheels.

• 1 month later...

srbigbutt did you find the answer to getting the wheels to fit? I'm thinkin of using the same wheels but my car is lowered an 1" with tokiko springs and shocks. Also, I got the Toyota S12W up front and heard that RB-R's won't clear them (kinda sad)... If the RB-R isn't going to fit I might end up keeping my Sportmax 002 (16x8 - 0 offset)

• 2 weeks later...
srbigbutt did you find the answer to getting the wheels to fit? I'm thinkin of using the same wheels but my car is lowered an 1" with tokiko springs and shocks. Also, I got the Toyota S12W up front and heard that RB-R's won't clear them (kinda sad)... If the RB-R isn't going to fit I might end up keeping my Sportmax 002 (16x8 - 0 offset)

No, I never got an answer. how about you?

I don't have my zed with the RB-R anymore so I can tell you if the 4x4 Toy calipers will clear 100% but I know this - they cleared a wilwood setup that looks to stick out more than the 4x4 calipers so I am 95% sure they would clear fine - I know there is a fair bit of caliper clearances on the RB-R rims - more then RS Watanabes thats for sure.