HybridZ

F54 block with P78 head...SU carbs

240zKidd

i did a engine swap over the weekend I bought a rebuilt engine for a 1982 280zx... The block is a f54 and the head is a p79. I dropped it into my 240z everything bolted up had to switch a couple things out... I used the Exhaust/intake gasket and got it to seal the injector holes and put my SU carbs on... Am I going to have any issues? I took it for a test drive and it was very quick not sure if its quicker then my N42 with E88 setup... But it built faster. But I kinda of jumped into it and did it I am wondering if there is anything I should worrie about since I put SU carbs on this head the only issue at first was getting the intake to seal since the injector holes are their, seems to be sealed.

Other question will the SU carbs provide enough gas for the f54 block with p79 head (82 280zx engine). How much did I kill horse power by taking away efi from this motor? My SU carbs were rebuilt by z thearpy and work amazing... But can they support a bigger engine?

And how bad is it if the metal liner were removed from the p79 head on the exhuast out... The guy who built the motor removed and cleaned it up for better flow... Will i have any issues with out the metal liner or does it just make the p79 head like a p90 head?

Thanks for reading and any advice will help or concerns on the setup...

First of all, it is a P79 head. The P79 flows very well, even with the exhaust liners present. With the P79 head and flat top pistons, your CR is in the 8.5:1 range. Your SUs should not have a problem delivering enough fuel. Now if you were running an N series head, you might be on the edge with stock SM needles (10:1 CR).

First of all, it is a P79 head. The P79 flows very well, even with the exhaust liners present. With the P79 head and flat top pistons, your CR is in the 8.5:1 range. Your SUs should not have a problem delivering enough fuel. Now if you were running an N series head, you might be on the edge with stock SM needles (10:1 CR).

Thank you... It feels that this engine pulls harder then my N42 block with N42 head or my N42 block with e88 head... It seems to pull a lot harder... I have a rebuilt E88 head would it be a good idea to put it on this f54 block? And go with triple webers? I am trying to get a strong motor without spending way to much.

If it was me, I'd stick with the P79, and call Z therapy about the carb needles. They aren't that expensive. IF your E88 has been fully worked over and is in just all around better shape, then I might consider the work to swap the heads, but if the P79 has been rebuilt, then I'd stick with it for sure. Just a better design.

Yes, the higher compression is good for power, and yes the E88 can make good power. But the P79 has just as much if not more potential, especially if you decide to rebuild and kick the compression up some.

Really, I'd call Steve at Ztherapy and get his opinion, as far as the carbs go, but I am pretty sure that you'll be fine with the SM needles.