HybridZ

Acceptable turbo/steering shaft clearance?

drzed

What is an acceptable amount of turbo to steering shaft clearance? I'm installing a much larger turbo and the exhaust housing is getting very close to the steering shaft. I have already installed 1/4" of spacers under the DS engine mount to rotate the engine over a little but don't want to rotate it more than required. Right now there is 1/8" clearance but when the engine is under load this will increase due to flex in the engine mount. My worry is what will happen at the end of the track when I let off and the engine comes back down.

What kind of minimun clearances is everyone using?

I have mine set up with 1/8" clearance and have had no problems. There is not nearly as much torque to twist the engine in that direction on decel, so you should be all right with what you have. You would probably hear or feel it in the steering if there is a problem.

I have 7/16" clearance between the shaft and a big custom downpipe set up. The clearance between the bolt that goes through the shaft and the exhaust is about 1/4" and upon close inspection, there is evidence of these parts making contact at some point. The downpipe has a light "marred" area that has been touched by the bolt. This is a track car and not street driven but I have never felt these parts making contact nor has this interfered with my poor driving techniques but I may use this set up as an excuse for my slower lap times next week at VIR. It may go something like this. " I had to left early because my steering wouldn't turn." As to adding a spacer under the drivers side engine mount, I'm now considering it. Thanks for the "heads up".