HybridZ

Supersquare idea?

Sparky12

ALSO!

Not to change the subject but my dad just got a call today from one of his customers saying he blew his motor today during practice for this weekends races in our club (Dad builds race motors). At first he thought it was gaskets or something due to the 12:1 comp. motor. Its a Triumph so 12:1 is a grenade for them. Go fast for an unpredictable amount of laps, personally I'd rather have a reliable motor. Anyways, he literally blew up a piston. As in... the piston blew down into the oil pan and the wrist pin is still on the rod. Stock pistons connected to polished, lightened, deburred, and shot peened rods that Dad did.

This is another example of die hard projects which have been done cheaply. I am at fault too with my stroker project when it comes to some things. Any and all of us who wish to do hot motors, do it right the first time. I'll try and snag the piston if he doesn't want to keep it as a Doah! Trophy.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

6.jpgCrank1.jpg

Crank2.jpgCrank3.jpgCrank4.jpg

Pistons1.jpgPistons2.jpgPistons3.jpgPistons4.jpg

Pistons5.jpg

Pistons6.jpg

Rods1.jpg

Rods2.jpg

Sorry 56k users....

You can go further with the de-stroker idea...

L28 block, L20A crank, 140mm LD28 rods, and I think KA pistons.

The LD rods are slightly on the beefy side (not as much as most people say) so I suppose a bit of weight could be removed from them.

I just need an L20A crank now...lol Not like I'm going to build said motor but I have most of the parts.

about a year and a half ago i posted this idea on zcar.com. had lots of guys chime in, tonyd, dan baldwin, norm, and several others. the point some people made was that stock cast pistons would probably encounter problems before the peak rpm capabilities would be reached. so if you need custom pistons made, might as well go ahead and have them made for a zero deck height. also with the lower swept volumn a MN47 head would be a good choice. probably high 10s CR. also that there wasn't a very big difference in top rpm between that and the good ole 2.8 motor. the L20A crank, to which i have one and no use for, lol, would be a better candidate for high revving fun. my idea came for a high rpm autox motor, before i ever autox'd. after i had a few times i realized the 2.8 was plenty fun and if anything a compression bump would do the trick.