HybridZ

Finally Ran My Big Block 454 Z at the Strip....

Yup, I decided to spend alittle money to get my little Z passed tech. So, I finally got to run my car at the strip last night. Despite having some serious traction issues due to crappy Kumho street tires and having the distributor come loose and back my total timing to 25 degrees I still managed to get a 11.80 @115 mph spinning through 1st gear and the better half of 2nd. Next time I go I'll have some sticky slicks and have the distributor secured then we'll really see what the car can do.

congrats! on a completed swap!

BTW ID suggest looking carefully at the tire clearance to the suspension and wheel wells, when you swap to larger slicks and take into account the expanded dia. at high rpms and speeds slicks are great for traction but they change shape and dia. far more than standard tires at high speeds

I had over 3" of clearance while sitting still on the pavement but at 135 mpr the slicks contacted the inner wheel wells untill I totally tubbed the rear, Id also suggest you take it easy on the launches the first few times as the increased traction tends to shead drive train components with 3500rpm plus launces with a decent BBC torque.....LETS NOT GET INTO EXACTLY WHY I KNOW THIS FIRST HAND, WITH MY 496 BBC CORVETTE and how I got good at fiberglass repair!

Looks like the Z has a lot of potential.

When you run next time try to have someone videotape.

Your Z is sure to impress with that engine.

If I knew I'd run better than a low 13 or high 12 I would of made sure it was videotaped. I honestly figured that with my crappy traction Kumho street tires I wouldn't impress anyone. Who knew the car would accelerate like it did after 1st gear......