HybridZ

Anyone using a Quaife/Torson ??

Guest lambsr

Guest lambsr

Interested in your opinion/experiences, esp for track work.

I already have an R180 4.1 clutch LSD, plus an R200 (clutch) is on the way.

slamb,

I seem to recall seeing a post from John Coffey in zcar.com where he mentions having used one in autocross and on the track. He considers the Quaife best among the different LSDs but expensive.

I have seen him post here but don't know his ID. Perhaps you can do a search here or at zcar.com.

Ruben

'72 240Z

I previously tried researching this as well, it seems that the Newman/(someone) 280ZX turbo had a torsen diff. (ahhh, I wanna say Newman/Haas but I KNOW that's wrong!...Newman...Sharp! that's it)

Sorry...

I read that they used a torsen diff in that 280ZX they used to race.

Heh, anal me...when I was on the edge of R200 and R230 I even went so far as to make an Excel sheet of what cars had what diffs...RX7, Miata, Audi's etc...ended up with the R230 though.

Owen

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! I'm cited as an expert on something! That's scary... Sorry for the late reply, but I've been traveling a lot for work.

I've run a welded diff, a Nissan Comp LSD, and I'm now currently running a Quaife. My car is a BSP prepared 240Z (L6 with ~175 rwhp and full racing suspension) and it gets autocrossed and tracked at least once per month.

The Quaife is by far the best diff I've run and I'll never run anything else (in any car I race). Its so effective I had to adjust the suspension to take advantage of it. So far, no manintenance and no troubles.

In the past I had to rebuild my Nissan Comp LSD every year. Autocross is particularly hard on diffs.

Guest lambsr

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'm going to buy one. Actually, you guys in the US may be interested in the fact that someone in Australia is now making these LSD's (presumably under license) and with the Oz dollar bing worth only about 50% of the $US, importing one from here may be attractive even with shipping. Look at this:

http://members.optushome.com.au/amaxeng/five10/diff.htm

He only makes them for the R180 at the mo', but I've spoken to him and if he got enough interest would also make them for the R200 for about AUD1500..or about USD800 or so.