HybridZ

1977 280z economy$ V8 swap, whats needed?

Guest 11Bravo

Guest 11Bravo

I just purchased a '77' 280z coupe for $500.00. It currently has the st8 6 and a 5spd standard. I'd like to do as little as possible to run a carburated 350 or 383ci v-8. What all is needed? I'm also thinking Turbo 350, TH400, or 2 speed powerglide. This car will not see too much HP 400HP max. It will be a sunday driver/drag car. The interior has been occupied by cats for a few years:(:ugg:. So I'm going to gut the interior. The body has sme cancer, and aftermarket "sculpting". Appearance isnt a big deal, just a mild quick car, that will light the tires on fire when the hammer is dropped. Is there a conversion kit for the swap? and how much HP will the stock rear-end take? Should I shop for a ford 9" rear? I need an auto tranny as I do not have a right hand (Iraq). Thank you.

Bravo, welcome to Hybrid Z, the premier source on the internet for modifying Zcars. Congrats on your new project.

You're going to need a motor and trans of your choice; motor and trans mounts; custom driveshaft; custom exhaust; and an upgraded radiator. The rear will stand a lot, though you might want to upgrade ujoints or stub axles at some point. You don't need a 9".

The 1st gen SBC swap is easiest, there is a company that makes a lot of the mounts and parts required. Check out http://www.jagsthatrun.com and get their book on the swap, it has lots of info you will need. Some guys have got a swap done for a couple thousand dollars, and some of us have spent tens of thousands and aren't done yet.

Most of these questions and a lot more have been discussed before, so you can learn a lot just by reading in the forums, or doing some searches on what interests you at the time. I love doing a search cause I always learn more than my original question. If you have specific questions post them up and somebody will help out.

Thank you for your service to our country.

John

Yeah, most everything is just a search away. 400 HP is a pretty decent build these days unless your trying to utilize stock heads. Probably the th350 would be the best option. the R200 rear end should do fine.

Fun to build, fun to drive.

Good luck

cheaper to add a big turbo and efi system to what to already have.

There are lots of hidden/unexpected costs with a V8 conversion. Plus the amount of labor will be 2 or 3 times more than what you plan for.

A L28 turbo can be just as fast or faster than a 400hp V8.

install stage 2 or 3 MSA turbo cam, T04E-50 turbo with a stage 5 exhaust turbine, intercooler, and megasquirt efi. Could make 400hp with around 17 psi of boost.

Just out of curiosity, which hand did you lose? I remember a guy who lost his right hand in a racing accident who had a special shifter knob made that he could 'clip into' with his prosthesis and shift.Pretty good idea if you ask me, but you'd have some difficulty if it's your left hand. And for that matter if you like drag racing you're better off with an auto anyway, especially if the turbo bug ever bites you.

Welcome.

DatsunZV8Conversion.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-280Z-V8-Conversion-Manual-1975-1976-1977-1978_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34229QQihZ005QQitemZ150247599869QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I read this cover-to-cover for 6 months before buying any cars, donors, or parts. It addresses many details of doing a Chevy V8 swap, and has a chapter on automatic transmissions. You will save the purchase price by not making mistakes, re-calibrating the tachometer yourself, etc.