HybridZ

Stock 5-speed not happy...

TimZ

Well, it's always something.

I finally got my car back on the road a couple of weeks ago, with a freshened trans and diff, new clutch, new CV's, etc., and it had been running exceptionally well. I drove it around for several hours yesterday, and it didn't skip a beat.

This morning, I pulled it out of the garage, polished up the wheels, and then pulled out of the driveway to go for a ride. Oddly, in first gear, there is a definite periodic clunk sound coming from the drivetrain. icon_mad.gif I put the car up on jackstands, checked underneath and didn't see anything obvious, so I started it up and tried just releasing the clutch in different gears. The noise is definitely there, and it only does it in first gear. I can hear it quite clearly if I put my ear to the gearshift knob.

Next, I drained the gear oil out of the trans, and checked the magnet in the drain plug. There were a fair amount of fine shavings, but no big pieces of gear tooth or anything.

I'm guessing that I'm going to have to pull the trans back out and have it looked at. The weird thing is that I drove it all over creation yesterday, and everything was fine, and now this morning it sounds like it lost a tooth. I guess maybe something was almost ready to let go, and it decided to do it today?

Anybody have any ideas/suggestions, before I pull this thing? I'm going to wait a day or so, just in case I'm not thinking of something obvious.

It sounds to me as if you have hit a resonance point in the tranny that only occurs if you have the following situation. Peak torque occuring at 4400 rmp and peak hp starting at 5400 rpm with both torque and hp achieving the 450@wheels mark. This will cause a google wave to crack the gears under hard acceleration. I hope this helps, it is a common occurance.

Doh!

It just keeps getting worse. icon_wink.gif

Anyway, I pulled the trans last night, and am taking it in today. I think I'm getting a little too good at this - 2.5 hours from car intact on jackstands to trans in the trunk of the Taurus...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mattrp

I have a similiar clunk coming from my tranny when it sits at idle, but I'm pretty sure its because of the input shaft bearings.

Let me know if you figure it out.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Well, if you're ever passing through St. Louis, MO, I have a 76 5 speed that is solid. $50. I'll give it away for free if the taker will also take the 76 l28 and accessories too. icon_smile.gif

It's taking up too much room!

And no, I don't want to ship it. Sorry. I don't have any way to haul it somewhere. Someone would have to come and get it out of my garage or driveway.

Dewzenol--just how much stuff is included in "accessories"? I'm just a few hours away, and if you really want to get rid of it that badly, I might be able to help you out

(sometimes having a 1 ton pickup can come in real handy)

Jim

Funny you should mention this - I just got it back together and out on the road tonight. As suspected, I had lost a tooth on the mainshaft first gear.

Kind of strange - there were some stress cracks on the two adjacent teeth, possibly caused by added stress after the first let go. The missing tooth had just kind of let go - there was no evidence of the gear having been torn off, or anything. Maybe it was just a void in the casting or something...

Guest MM_280Z

quote:

Originally posted by 240Z Turbo:

This will cause a google wave to crack the gears under hard acceleration.

Heh, google wave?! You're BSing right? Is that really what it's called? icon_smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Looks like Jim took me seriously. I went out to my garage one morning last week and all my Z stuff was gone, with a fifty dollar bill in its place.

If anybody needs 280 parts bug him! icon_smile.gif