HybridZ

78 4spd strengh

Comrade_Charlie

for my 81(actually its a 78n/a motor but turbo parts from a 81) turbo motor im using the 78 4spd I have, im not using the auto that the 81 came with unless I can build that some how... anyway any one have experience on breaking these 4spds on a stock l28et? maybe some advice on how much I can or can not beat up on this tranny would help, I have a t5 from a 85 turbo Z maybe I can use if or when it breaks, would just need a bell housing ive heard... I kind of think that since the car is light it will be easier on the tranny but I have no experience with the 4spds.

Also I am using a stock 78 2+2 clutch(which I read is what the stock turbo uses also, size wise). I dont really have any money and can only leave the car in pieces or put it together and hope it all wont break or slip...

for my 81(actually its a 78n/a motor but turbo parts from a 81) turbo motor im using the 78 4spd I have, im not using the auto that the 81 came with unless I can build that some how... anyway any one have experience on breaking these 4spds on a stock l28et? maybe some advice on how much I can or can not beat up on this tranny would help, I have a t5 from a 85 turbo Z maybe I can use if or when it breaks, would just need a bell housing ive heard... I kind of think that since the car is light it will be easier on the tranny but I have no experience with the 4spds.

Also I am using a stock 78 2+2 clutch(which I read is what the stock turbo uses also, size wise). I dont really have any money and can only leave the car in pieces or put it together and hope it all wont break or slip...

I used to break the stock trannies and the R180 diffs all the time back in the 80s. But then it was only 5000 yen ($50) to replace them from the junkyard in Okinawa. They didn't like continual clutch drops and will go sooner or later after continual abuse.

Shock kills transmissions. Be nice to your transmission. Learn to shift smooth, then make it fast - your transmission, clutch, and differential will thank you.

That said, I've been told that the 4-speeds are stronger than the 5-speeds of the same year. They generally have the same ratios except the 5-speeds have that final gear. My buddy's 240Z is pushing 250 turbocharged horsepower at the wheels and he keeps killing 5-speeds; he's been on a 4-speed for quite a while. He also keeps skinny tires on the car so he can't get enough traction to break anything :)