HybridZ

T56 in an automatic setup

Miles, it's mechanically pretty straightforward. Ideally, you'll need to find a 240 in a junk yard; get the bracket (up under the dash is nasty tough on your back, let's hope your is in better shape than mine), the pedal, all the little bits. I'm not sure about the 260/280 brackets; I think they're a little bit different than the 240's, though I'm morally certain they can at least be modified. The JTR Datsun Conversion Manual (you've got one, right?) talks about using Tilton clutch master cylinders - you'll need to cut down the shaft on the m/c a bit, then modify the bracket that attaches to the pedal to fit. I have a 3/4" unit (originally used with a T-5, now on my T56 via Weir bellhousing and hydraulic throw-out bearing) that's a rather heavy, but not unbearable. Perhaps someone else can suggest more details of the hydraulic hookup, but I like me a hydraulic bearing.

There may be some complications with regard to the ECU, however, particularly in regards to the difference between an automatic mask and a manual. I know little about the computer in your car, but there aren't a lot of manual pickups sold - could be a problem. If you can tune your own, great, otherwise JBK's suggestion about ls1tech might help you there. Personally, I'm running a GM '7730 with a manual mask.

The only other problem you might run into is getting your speedo operating, personally I just got an Autometer electric speedo and was done.

Good luck!