HybridZ

Engine bay parts identification-Pic-

Ok so i will admit i dont know much for datsun stuff...

im in the middle of cleaning my engine bay and tucking wiring.

so, these are the things ive run into.

dsc01434rz0.jpg

red:

Im assuming this is a regulator, it was with the stock coil. Im now running a crane hi6 ignition box and ps92 coil. Is it needed any longer?

Blue:

I have no clue what this is, i can see its got a line running down the chassis but i cant follow it. I dont think its supposed to be looped like it is.

Where do i hook it up or can i delete it?

green:

I thought this went to the EGR system but im not sure, to me seems like a crank case breather. but its blocked off. again, what is it and what needs to be done?

and also the negative terminal on the battery is grounded to the block at the starter and the top of the valve cover. do i have to have the other ground on the valve cover or could i make it a chassis ground?

Thanks for any info

• Administrators

I’m pretty sure, though not 100% sure, the Haynes manual has all those items in it.

Red; is the ballast resistor for the stock coil.

Green; as you suspected, is the crank case breather and originally went to the PCV.

Blue; Ron says he’ll post on that.

on the red, can i remove it? does my coil need it?

on the blue, i just talked to a fellow z owner and he told me that it is the gas tank ventilation line. so i modified it to what i wanted.

thanks for the help. and how about the ground wire i mentioned?

• Administrators

As for removing the ballast resistor? I would read the paperwork/instructions that came with your coil. It should tell you if that coil requires a ballast resistor or not, and if so, what OHM value they recommend. Follow the manufacture recommendations.

The block ground is typical, the valve cover ground is not and probably used to be the body ground. My opinion is the block ground and a body ground is minimum. Adding a dedicated ground strap from the alternator to the block or to the negative battery wire is not a bad idea as well, and even adding a couple more body grounds for redundancy, incase one starts to corrode etc.

Hope that helps.

Paul

As for removing the ballast resistor? I would read the paperwork/instructions that came with your coil. It should tell you if that coil requires a ballast resistor or not, and if so, what OHM value they recommend. Follow the manufacture recommendations.

The block ground is typical, the valve cover ground is not and probably used to be the body ground. My opinion is the block ground and a body ground is minimum. Adding a dedicated ground strap from the alternator to the block or to the negative battery wire is not a bad idea as well, and even adding a couple more body grounds for redundancy, incase one starts to corrode etc.

Hope that helps.

Paul

alright ill do that as well. thanks again

ok in my coil install guide it doesnt mention needing the balast resitor, nor does it say i dont need it.

This is the coil i have..

http://www.cranecams.com/?show=browseParts&lvl=4&prt=166&action=partSpec&partNumber=730-0092

instructions

http://www.cranecams.com/pdf/90001091.pdf

yes no?

sorry, i just want the reassurance before i remove something needed