HybridZ

Datsun Stroker build rich280zxt work log.

Think I have enough progress to start a thread on my build, because if you're like me you like to look at pictures of Z's getting restored. ;) But first an introduction.. I bought my 75 280z in TN. The car had been repainted and was cracking everywhere, even had about 20 pounds of bondo smeared all over the rear quater panels. The side markers were removed and sheet metal was welded in place and looked like garbage. The owner before me began stripping the paint and gave up on it, so I picked it up for cheap and had it transported to Jacksonville. Car was completely bone stock, and has very little rust that I have been able to find up until this point.

Plans: Pick-up the stroker motor I bought in AL. this week (hopefully) Built by Seattle Racing Z. Its a 3.0 liter stroker motor, diesel maxima crank, cam in it- and don't know a whole lot about it but I'll get all the specs when I pick it up. Going to purchase ArizonaZcar coilovers and camber plates in the near future. 280zForce's Monster Flares, Rota 17x19.5 in the rear, 17x9 in the front rims. Ported and polished intake manifold, pallnet fuel rail, some kind of injectors (suggestions?) And whatever else I can afford, but those are my goals so far.

Here are some shots of the car, the way it looked when I first bought it.

IMG_3554.jpg

IMG_3004.jpg

IMG_3003.jpg

IMG_3556.jpg

IMG_3557.jpg

IMG_4092.jpg

IMG_4097.jpg

Started removing all the bondo.. here's a picture after it was primed.

HPIM2671.jpg

Still got some dents to work out, and have to grind down the weld beads, bondo over the side marker hole and smooth it out.

Front side markers, bondo and sanded..

HPIM2668.jpg

Getting the car primered, so it doesn't develop surface rust,

HPIM2669.jpg

HPIM2673.jpg

Then I took a break from the body work and started removing the intake manifold, and disconnecting the injector harness.

HPIM2667-1.jpg

A few days later bought an engine lift, and pulled the motor, by myself haha sry for the crappy shots..

HPIM2706.jpg

HPIM2707.jpg

HPIM2708.jpg

Looking good so far :)

Clean up that engine bay while you have the chance!

Yeah, I'm picking up a sand blaster tomorrow and removing all the paint, and when I send it out to the painter going to have him paint the engine bay same color as the outside of the car, midnight blue. Hopefully the engine bay will look like this when finished..

DSC09155.jpg

haha yea actually, the passenger side seat fits perfectly. But I remember reading somewhere on Hybrid that the transmission tunnel is closer on the driver's side, making it narrower, so the driver's side seat doesn't sit all the way down the way it should. However, the seats have a plastic siding on them where the levers are, I'm going to take the plastic off and see if that won't make it sit right. I'll make them fit reguardless haha

Yeah I tried taking the plastic panels off and it would sit much lower. I went on to take off the wheel on the side that controls the stiffness of the seat and it sat a little lower... But im kind of stuck now. The rails are 16 inches wide compared to the stock 14 inches and there isnt anyway to move them since their build in to the reclining mechanism etc.

But Hopefully I can figure something out. Anyone ever cut out the raised braces that go across the floor? I know youd have to replace it with something to keep the strength but It might help the seats fit..

About finished with the rear side marker cover up::

HPIM2741.jpg

HPIM2742.jpg

HPIM2749.jpg

HPIM2759.jpg

HPIM2766.jpg

HPIM2743.jpg

HPIM2747.jpg

HOWEVER!

This thread may come to an abrupt end. I changed my mind about selling my 240z and have decided to keep it. I am going to be pulling the L28 from my 240z and putting it in this car. Idealy I would have gotten a ported and polished intake manifold from lonewolf, new fuel rail and injectors and then finished whatever was left on the car; BUT I just got offered a 1966 Chevy Impala numbers matching 327, new paint rebuilt motor, tank- for the 280z w/ swapped L28 and triple webers. The guy said if I can get the car running perfectly he'll let the paint slide and do the trade. Pic of the Impala incase you were interested.

paintjob2.jpg

TAKE THAT HYBRIDZ! haha just kidding I love you guys.

So now there will be another thread on the restoration of my 240z, which doesn't need very much attention to be a 10 out of 10 car, including my 3.0 stroker motor which is coming this week!

STAY TUNED

• 3 weeks later...
Guest all4zahzah

looking at the pics of your wing window all I could see is JA in one picture and FTING.COM in the other what or is there a letter missing. JUST CURIOUS :ass:

It says JaxDrifting.com

HPIM2758.jpg

I took the side molding plastics off and got it to sit pretty low. I'm going to take off the original datsun seat sliders and make a custom spacer bracket to clear the lumbar on the bottom and use those. Because the Tibruon brackets are 17" apart, stock is 13". I'll be able to make it work. Recently I've been working on my 240z, because I really something to drive. Got the stroker motor in it, just waiting on an early zx distributor coming from cali, to eliminate the resistor and get a stronger spark.

DSC00023.jpg

I'm putting the stock fuel Injection back on the 280z, since I couldn't figure out how to wire it. I posted a few threads and no one else seemed to know either. Its kinda rhetorical, because I put an 83 zx motor in a 75 280z, both are L28's so I don't think anyone was stupid enough to try it. I wanted that blue 240z in Mass. under the classifieds but I called the guy and asked him a price without the CCW's and he told me 4200. Guy is a total a hole. I "wanted" to get the 280z running and scoop up that 240z but I'm not going to deal with him. Trying to tell me he has no use for that car if he can't put a wide body kit on it- idiot doesn't even know what hes doing. Getting back to the point. I might decide to put a turbo motor in the 280z if I can find one cheap.