HybridZ

How to Remove the Distributor and Still Run the Engine?

Guest Qwildurn

Guest Qwildurn

I know this can be done given enough local fabrication and I'm sure it has been done, but I can't find any information at all about it and I'm not really sure where to start in planning it.

I (we) want to remove the distributor from our 240z and throw it in the trash, plug up the hole and still be able to run the engine. Presumably a crank mounted pick-up would be used, but a camshaft mounted pick-up could work also. We don't have access to a foundry, but we do have access to a small machine shop.

Motorcycles have been using crank-mounted points for years. We were thinking about going pointless.

Everything I have found relies on using the distributor and/or drive. I am not familiar with the newer style (newer than breaker points) systems to steal parts from newer cars to graft in.

Have any of you done something like this? Do you have any pictures or links?

Thanks, Qwildurn

There is LOTS of information on DIS ignitions and conversion on this site.

Search "EDIS", there is a very close to bolt on set-up using the Ford EDIS parts, including a Ford reluctor wheel, that needs minor machining to fit the L-series engine.

There is a thread in the Megasquirt forum. http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103781

What about the crank sensor off of a turbo engine? I just bought a turbo engine for my supercharged blow through carb project with this set up and was thinking of see what I needed to go individual coils.

Guest Qwildurn

My brother sent me this in an email. He has been working as a motorcycle mechanic for over 20 years.

Hi Bob,

I do know some things about distributorless ignition systems (DIS). They are fully electronic and use multiple coils, rather than one coil with a mechanical distribution device.

The trigger device is mounted at the crankshaft, usually an inductive coil in close proximity to a multi-toothed "trigger" wheel that is bolted to the crank. The teeth of the trigger wheel are spaced and timed to give the control module accurate information about the speed (RPM) and position of the crankshaft.

The control module takes the input from the trigger coil and, at the right time, sends a signal to one of the ignition coils, thus firing the spark plug.

The control module also is connected to the battery and ground for it's power source. Within the Ignition Control Module (ICU) is circuitry that generates wave patterns, or pulses, that are then used to trigger the circuits that charge the coils. These are mostly transisterised circuits, rather than capacitive discharge types (CDI).

Early electronic ignitions on motorcycles still used mechanical timing advancers, flying weights and springs connected to the trigger wheel. All the newer car and motorcycle ignitions are using fully digital technology for spark advance. Older DIS systems were stand alone set-ups, while newer fuel injected systems have everything in one Engine Control Module(ECM).

DIS can use one coil per spark plug or a series wound coil for pairs of spark plugs. The Coil on Cap type is the latest variation which mounts the coil directly on top of the spark plug, no spark plugs wires to go bad.

DIS is much more reliable and much more accurate than ANY mechanical distributor, electronic or points type. Would be a nice upgrade for your Z. Pete was talking about building his own DIS. I sent him a link to an article that I found about just such a thing.

Hope all this helps.

Patrick

There was no link with this email, but I think he means this:

http://www.electromotive-inc.com/