HybridZ

Adding a Restrictor plate on a EFI L6

JSM

Not yet, another 1 year and 3 months to go. I just picked up an early 74 260z for a song.

The deal is it can be his first car, if he helps me get it running (this is for him to learn and have a vested interest) and it is somewhat reasonable to insure. If not reasonable to insure, we will sell it and any profit can be used to purchase a car that is somewhat reasonable to insure.

The wife and I thought this would be a win, win situation for all of us. Time will tell.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THAT sounds like a great plan. But I'll second the truck thing (with a couple small reservations). The first vehicle that I drove regularly was a '93 Toyota pickup. 22re with a stick. Quick enough to get out of its own way, but not fast. It did well in the lowish revs and lower speeds. No wrecks (got lucky a couple times) and reliable. In fact, that truck is about to be on its FOURTH first driver.

Reservations-

It does donuts REALLY well for having an open diff.

Its stock suspension feels pretty good in the dirt.

It was predictable in the air.

See where I'm going with this?

Autocrossing in south florida is done by a group called Equipe Rapide, and I know there is a group my brothers have run with on the west coast in the fort myers area called Gulf Coast Autocrossers or something like that.

My first car was an automatic geo storm hatch, I got it when I graduated high school, had it for a year, and got my 75 280 2 seat, 5 speed stocker. I coped with the fog, the 2x4 block holding the driver window up (TWO regulators i installed busted on me) the wipers, and actually I found that only the HEAVIEST of rain came in the windows while I was rolling.. and I live in south Florida, so I am used to monsoons. Honestly I find myself to be extremely above average drivers in rainy driving skill, and also enjoyment.. I'm a sicko, but I am native born to a swamp so developing a taste for rainy driving is sort of a survival technique.

My point is, it made me more of a driver. The bit that gollum pointed out around the middle of the thread, about only one passenger and predictive driving.. that piece deserved a +10000 as well.

I had my car insured, by myself, for around 130-150 a month with tickets and bad stuff on my driving record, when I was 20-21 years old, 2-3 years into getting my license. Actually, I failed to keep insurance on the thing consistently, so my rates were even inflated by that to boot. Insurance shouldn't be too much, if memory serves these cars were somehow considered "compact/hatchback coupes" rather than sports cars so we dodge a bullet there.

And finally, I would say that the greatest slice of humble pie I have ever had stuffed in my face has been in driving past nasty accidents, and seeing videos of the sort they play in driver's ed that show DUI accidents and brains on asphalt. When you watch that and see the brains on asphalt, and then suddenly have that recognition moment of what it is.. it sorta makes you count every ounce of steel you're rolling around in.