HybridZ

T5 transmission removal

blueovalz

I lost the clutch today on a test drive, and I need some advice about the transmission. I have a McCleod (spelling?) hydraulic throwout bearing. It appears to have failed, and symptoms are no clutch action, and brake fluid coming out of the bellhousing inspection opening at the bottom of the bellhousing (it failed suddenly with no warning of anything wrong). I want to remove the transmission from the car by removing it from the bellhousing, thus leaving the bellhousing attached to the block. It's been years since I assembled this, and on paper, I think it will work. Anybody think it won't, or have done this before?? If I remember correctly, the T/O bearing just bolted onto the front bearing cover (or did it replace the front bearing cover?).

Terry

Well, I found my problem. The PP housing had been rubbing the SS braided lines leading from the T/O bearing to the outside of the bellhousing. It eventually wore all the way through and made a hole. I guess I need to move them further away from the rotating mass. Another unusual thing I found was the pilot bushing was out of it's hole and loose between the crank and the clutch disc. I hope it came out when I pulled the tranny. It took all of 2.5 hours to completely pull the transmission and diagnose the problem (new record for me).

Wow, I've heard of that happening to the hoses. I tried to make sure that mine were clamped just outside the bellhousing so that the were pushed back to almost against the bellhousing. I guess a custom bracket/clamp inside the bellhousing to hold them away from the PP would be a good idea.