HybridZ

WC T5 or Tremec

Dp351zcar

I plan to be putting out around 450 hp I hope and I was wondering if a WC T5 would hold it?

I will not be power shifting or speed shifting as I don't really think it get you across the line any faster. The car will be drag raced, run on open course track events and I will try autox. I will not be running slicks.

Z cars are not as heavy as mustangs so the strain should not be as geat on the tranny.

Don

Guest Anonymous

I could be wrong, but I think the torque will kill it. Its only rated at about 350 ft/lb's of torque, most engines at 450 HP are probably putting closer to 500 ft/lbs of torque. Just an opinion.

Regards,

Lone

If you shift it softly and don't beat on it the trans MIGHT survive. Mine did behind a twin turbo 302 for well over a year - then I beat on it one day. Next day third took a hike.

Buy a Tremec, in the long run you'll be better off. Speed shifting DOES make a difference. This is whay C&D can get one time out of a press car but MM&FF or one of the Chevy mags can usually cut at least a half second off their times. The MM&FF guys even mentioned this in one of their mags wondering just what the heck the C&D guys did when they test drove cars icon_biggrin.gif If you're going to drag race it buy a stronger trans. The T5 shifts nicer but the Tremec IS stronger - it's what I ended up with in the

Mustang...

I have the TR-3550 in my Z, behind a mildish 327 Chevy (double hump 2.02 heads, no porting, intake matched, 270 solid magnum comp cam, Holley hi-rise dual plane, 9.7:1).

No word yet on how it really shifts, but it seemed fine on the very short trip up and down the street. Tremecs have a bit of a reputation for being notchy, although some people I've talked to haven't heard this much (shrug).

The TKO is another ~$300. It didn't seem worth it to me, maybe it is for the power you'll be making if you put slicks on the car.

Hrm, I think the regular Tremec would be fine. They had troubles shearing the input shaft on high output apps at the track with the standard one and the TKO has some different friction material on th clutches inside but overal I think there aren't too many differences.

Hanlon Motorsports is the place to call to find out for sure. Bob Hanlon rebuilt my Tremec many moons ago and is a SUPER guy to talk to. He races a 5.0 shifting it the whole way - he races what he sells and KNOWS what will hold up icon_smile.gif