HybridZ

And another successful WOLF V-500 start up, in a Z-32!!!

BRAAP

• Administrators

Short version;

Started and idled my bone stock N/A Z-32 on the WOLF V-500 Z-32TT Direct Fit for a couple seconds. Idled glass smooth on all 6 cylinders with NO changes or alterations to the pre-programmed maps/config and with NO MAP hose connected!

Longer version;

I purchased a WOLF V-500 for another Z project, (Project FUZZY) that I have approx 90% of the parts for including the engine, trans, car, suspension, etc. I just need to find the time and motivation to assemble and build project FUZZY!

So in the mean time, wanting to get familiar with WOLF V-500 and play with it a little, I purchased the direct fit for my Z-32. The WOLF Direct Fit kits consist of the universal WOLF V-500 ECU, programmed for whatever application and a mini harness that allows the V-500 to plug into the factory ECU harness. This particular direct fit is for the Z-32-TT and is set for 20 PSI boost, installed in my stock ’93 N/A Z-32. gh.gif I also bought the Wolf recommended "USB to serial" adaptor just to be sure I had no comm errors. Tonight I found a few minutes to actually see if I could get the Wolf plugged into the car, verify my lap top would communicate with the V-500, and verify I did indeed have some sort of MAP/configuration in the V-500 to start the Z-32.

1) Installed WOLF software on Lap Top.

2) Installed USB to SERIAL adapter CD/drivers.

3) Unplugged OE Z-32 ECU and plugged in Wolf V-500 to the car.

4) Turned on Lap Top.

5) Connected Lap Top to V-500.

6) Took a minute to set correct COMM port.

7) Verified there was some sort of MAP and config in the V-500.

8) Started the motor, it idled for a couple seconds.

9) Got out of car.

10) Performed HAPPY DANCE! zomp.gif

Thank you to Ron Tyler for watching over my shoulder as this took place making sure I didn’t accidentally C: format or something along those lines.

Plugged the OE Nissan ECU back in for now as this is my daily driver. I hope to find some time in the near future, (hopefully in the next few months), to actually drive the car on the V-500 and start retuning the maps for my N/A VG30DE.

Face2Medium.jpg

• Administrators

Found a few more minutes tonight to play with the Z-32. Scrounged a long small vacuum hose, T’d it off the rear balance bar between the left and right plenums for the V-500 internal MAP sensor and drove the car down the road approx 2 miles. WOO-HOO!!! It drives, just not very well. Probably has to due with the fuel map being a VG30DETT with Turbo injectors and this is an N/A car. It will barely idle, and to drive it, you have to pump the pedal as it runs off the acceleration enrichment, part throttle will just hold no load engine speed. In neutral, stabbing the throttle at just the right rate and at the right time, the engine ZINGS to 7000 WAY quicker and with WAY more authority and snap than it ever has with OE ECU.

Biggest unknown concerns were if the rest of the “cars” electronics that relied on the OE ECU for information would still function, such as the cruise control and climate control, and yes, everything still functions normally as do all the gauges.

old-new.jpg

Me mights just get the RB26 connector then =)

and then rewire everything again using a continuity tester and a multimeter to see where everything goes if you're saying it's really almost perfect in terms of compatability.

this thread needs more happy dance!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Update…

1) Installed a semi permanent vacuum line for the WOLF V-500 internal MAP sensor.

2) Rescaled the fuel map for the N/A injectors.

3) Reconfigured the MAP sensor load scale to represent 100% load at atmospheric, (N/A), vs the preprogrammed 100% load = 15 PSI boost.

Drove it around for approx 2 miles, using the narrow band indicator on the WOLF dash to establish a decent coarse tune, only had to adjust the trims in the 100% load range just a skosh. No surging, no flat spots in the RPM range at cruise and WOT, O2 reads slightly rich at WOT, and close to stoich at cruise conditions. Acceleration enrichment is close, just a small hiccup if the throttle is stabbed quickly from idle. Mild to moderate throttle application and accel enrichment "feels" adequate.

MAF is still in place, though not in use as the WOLF is running in speed density.

Other than the acceleration enrichment hiccup upon a quick WOT stab, (I wont start tuning accel enrich until I am sure the fuel map is at least 95% of where I want it first), and the fact that WOlf is not controlling the idle speed motor, (idle speed of 850-1200 RPM that I can't adjust or alter other than with fuel or timing changes), the car runs and drives no different than it did with the OE ECU.

For the time being, the WOLF ECU will remain plugged in.

Only complaints thus far are;

1) The direct fit connector that connects to the OE EFI harness is not a real good connection and if that connector is bumped or jostled, the WOLF ECU will shut off, sometimes power right back up if bumped again. I don’t feel comfortable with such a lousy connection and not sure how much of that the WOLF ECU will tolerate? I will be looking into improving that connection.

2) The WOLF ECU is NOT controlling the idle speed. Played with the connection etc, WOLF just wont control idle speed even though the OE ECU controls the idle speed just fine, ie. idle motor and harness to the idle speed motor are fine.

3) Poor battery life in … Averatec 3200 lap-top… ARRGGGHHH....

**edit***

Google search revealed the basic option of using the “Power Management” functions in the XP control panel… whistle.gif

Recharged the lap-top battery, went for a spin tuning/data logging WOLF with the new lap-top settings and the battery life is now at least double what I was getting before… mumble.gif

• 2 weeks later...

3) Poor battery life in … Averatec 3200 lap-top…

aside from power management in the operating system's settings, you can change some settings in the bios so that the cpu operates at a lower front-side bus speed when not in a 3D application or an application that demands more RAM capacity than CPU capacity.

a laptop should give a solid 3 to 6 hours depending on the mixture of these two settings, both BIOS and OS.

:wink: