HybridZ

Which T5 to use for my Ram Jet 350?

Zcarlover

I bought a B/W super T10 to hook up to my RJ 350, but have since decided to go with a T5 instead. I have done a little research and found that these tranny's have been used in all sorts of different vehicles, in both V6 & V8 applications. How do I know which will work for my engine?

Any feedback would be much appreciated!!

Thanks, Steve.

Thanks guys,

Any suggestions on where to look? Don't know if I can trust buying from joe shmo off ebay or private party. I guess my best bet would be a rebuilt from reputable shop? U guys probably use T5's; can I ask where you purchased; rebuilt or used? What would u consider fair price?

Thanks for any added input u can give!

Steve

You're in NorCal so I might suggest a couple wrecking yards. There is a yard in Sacramento that caters to f-body cars, also one in San Jose (that is where I got my WC-T5) but I don't remember any names, sorry.

Prices: I paid $750 for mine seven years ago. They have been offered on this site for as low as $450. A good rebuilt beefed up one might get $1500.

Steve,

Be careful buying a T5. A World Class T5 is highly desirable. If you find one, make sure that it has the ID tag on the transmission case. You can check out this website to verify that it's a World Class T5:

http://www.5speeds.com/t5/

After much searching I found one, but in hindsight I would now go with a Tremec TKO 500 or TKO 600. D & D Performance has a good reputation for the TKOs:

http://www.ddperformance.com/Tremec%20Trans.htm

GM Sports Salvage in San Jose is one place you could go. I think that may be the place Dan bought his T5 from. I bought my 350 from there. Good guys.

If you spend over $500 for a T5, I would consider buying a Tremec for more. You may be buying an iffy trans that may need a rebuild, so you'll be in it for $1000 or so. Why not buy something new and more substantial?

Another route is to buy a Mustang T5 and get an input shaft from Dark Horse Performance. Again, nothing is cheap.

BTW, I did buy my WC T5 with bellhousing, etc, for $450 from someone on this board.

Davy

GM Sports Salvage in San Jose is one place you could go. I think that may be the place Dan bought his T5 from. I bought my 350 from there. Good guys.

Davy

Yes, that was the place. Mine included the bellhousing, clutch fork, and NEW slave cylinder.

Davy makes a good point about buying new. Keep in mind though, a new tranny will not include those extra items.

I went through a couple of t-5s in search of one with the right gear ratios. http://www.thirdgen.org/calculations this site has a good chart on the ratios of t-5s in cameros and firebirds which are plentifull and you can normally find the right one in your local junk yard. Now as for what I found out with a free t-5 we had laying around, 4.03 is waaaay to short for such a light car (I would reguarly just start off in second and be just fine). now my 2.95 seems just right. As for fifth gear I have a .63 which is really nice for top end speed but below 75 its about useless, and the maximum speed limit in Hawaii is 60 so you see the predicament. I had a .76 in the first one and it was fun as crap. I could just sit in fifth at 2 grand and climb any hill. Its really what you are looking for in a transmission but I hope this helps

1974 260z with Chevy 4.3L v6

I believe G Force sells a T-5 with their killer gears in it for around $2K.

Good point. I think you can send them your T5 and they can do the work on it for less IIRC. With unlimited funds, I like the G-Force T5, especially for it's light weight in light of it's brute strength. It's all about money right? The reasonable gear ratios on a T5 make it a good choice. The T56 is good too, but I have been reading about some gear (1st in some applications and 6th in others) about being unusable, relatively speaking. I could be wrong, but memory isn't totally shot. I decided that if $2000 came up and bit me in the butt, I'd go the G-Force route.

Davy