HybridZ

Rear ends that fit under 280Z

Does anyone know of any stock rear end that will fit width wise under a 76 280Z. building a 350 HP motor for it and really want to put a 4 link and wide 5 wheels under it. Cant afford a custom or a narrowed rear end. It can be no more than 2" wider overall that stock widthwhich is 53" Again any and all help is appreciated.

• Administrators

Any particular reason, other than wanting to use "wide 5" wheels, for wanting to go through all the trouble to put a solid axle in the car?

The stock Z car diff and rear suspension holds up to 700+ HP just fine and it would be easier to convert the flanges from 4 lug to whatever 5 bolt pattern you want than it would be to install a solid axle.

This car below is using the stock Datsun diff and rear suspension.

motivator1789543.jpg

Does anyone know of any stock rear end that will fit width wise under a 76 280Z.

Not that I'm aware of. Even the early bronco 9 inch is really too wide. For a solid axle you'll be looking at 40" to 45" wheel flange to wheel flange depending on tubs and wheel width you'd like to run.

Like Braap said, stock is pretty good for the HP level your planning to run, which is a basically pretty mild build engine wise but should be a screamer on the street.

Well i didnt figure the r 200 would hold up very long, autocrossing almost every weekend and 2 to 3 trips a month to the local strips and street driving all with a locked diff. but i guess i will tke your word for it and just upgrade the bushings front and rear to neoprene.

If you do the math, you'll see that the R200 has an 7.9" ring gear. How many Mustangs are racing with an 8" rear and making lots more then 350hp? Run a good LSD or weld it, run a good synthetic 80/140 GL5 fluid and you should be fine.