HybridZ

Finally back into the 81 head gasket...

naviathan

Yep, it's about time, but I did it. I finally got around to pulling the head off the 81 again. Judging by the white crust in the exhaust ports of cylinders 3,4,5 and 6 I really did a number on this one. All part of the learning curve I guess. N42 head + F54 Flat Top = 10:1 Compression and on 87 octane it makes bad things happen. Fortunately it looks like the head gasket was the only failure. Number 6 blew on the head side of a blocked water jacket; why is this water jacket blocked? Pics:

Gasket blown on head side...

RandomMomsCarsetc063.jpg

Block water jacket at the blown spot...

RandomMomsCarsetc064.jpg

Head water jacket at the blown spot...

RandomMomsCarsetc065.jpg

Why block a water jacket in the rear of the engine where we have the worst problems with hot spots?

Anyhow, working on ARP head studs, 2mm MLS head gasket, 34# injectors, 14mm o-ring fuel rail end maybe a mild port job while the head is off.

I came across this problem on my engine, an F54 bottom end with an E88 head. Turns out, the P-79 and P-90 heads use different holes for getting water to the head than the earlier heads, so the gasket blocks off some. Go look at post #121 in the thread 'Head cooling on cylinder #5' in this sub-forum, it explains the changes well.