HybridZ

Need Help deciding!!!!

My 1973 240z is just going in to get sandblasted then primered and painted....and was thinking of putting an aftermarket air dam i have seen tonnes of them and i have no idea what they are called...If someone can tell me the names of the following ones (in the pics also the grill on the last 2 blue one) i would greatly appreciate it. Also any restoration ideas or tips would be appreciated as well

Cheers!

1971datsun240vx5_thumb.jpg

04_thumb.jpg

q45zpower_01rw_thumb.jpg

q45zpowers_11rw_thumb.jpg

The air dam on the car with the grill is different from the rest.

The general shape you are going for is more or less the standard-ish shape for the aftermarket air dams on these cars, and is also my preferred look; but aerodynamic testing seems to lean strongly towards the MSA type 3 unit being the better performer.. I am GROSSLY over summarizing a vast amount of data in making that blanket statement, because any air dam requires a bit more than simple bolt-on installation to serve much function.

Okay, that being said, you can go to http://www.zcarparts.com and find air dams that look like that, quality pieces bought my many. I would recommend urethane over fiberglass for durability's sake... I watched my uncle hit a cone with his fiberglass airdam on an autocross course in the most beautiful Z I've grown up with, and saw it shatter the airdam into a million tiny pieces, and he has had his black urethane piece on there since then.

Urethane flexes, which leads to its own issues in installation. Sometimes you need to add a few extra little braces to hold/set the piece into its proper shape, but for a street car its normally recommended.

The grill appears to ME to be a custom made piece mimicking the stocker... It may well even BE a stock grill that is simply immaculately finished. Take a look at your grill and see if you can't find a way to make something along the same lines as that; its NOT as difficult as you might think, with the right fabricating equipment. A Miter box type cut, repeated say, 10 times in 4 upright pieces, find the right piece of channel for the cross-piece, quick tack welds, and finish. Bend the channels first obviously, thats the hardest part.

Well you can find air dams almost at any site that carry Z parts. MotorsportAuto, Zspecialties, and there was two more I can't remember right now. try doing a search for carbon fiber zg flares. you should get 2 sites Motorsport Auto and the other one. As for the grill they are JDM or custom grills from what i can see. MSA has JDM grills and there was a custom grill on ebay a week ago. It actually looked pretty good.