HybridZ

Subaru Power Rack and 280Z measurements and comparisons

This particular Subaro power steering came out of a middle '90's sedan: not an wrx, but the same body style. Not a forester. It has also been fitted with the inner tie rods from a 280zx datsun.

Hybridz_Subaru_Rack_Stock_280Z_rack.JPG

The stock 280Z measures 32 1/4 inches end to end. The Subaru is 33 7/8 inches.

g

Looks interesting,

How about the distance from the center of the inner tierod ball joint to ball joint compared to the stock rack , and campared to the LCA mounting bolt holes?

and size & spline count of the input shaft.

I'm working on PS for my 240Z using an early 2000's Subi rack. The rack was removed and shortened 1/2" on both ends to closely match the stock rack width. The holes needed to be drilled deeper and tapped a bit more. Volvo S80inner tierods replaced the Subi units. Stock S30 outer tierods can be installed without any cutting to accomodate alignment. The crossmember was modified to drop the Subi rack about 3/4" which is equivalent to relocating the LCA hole for bumpsteer correction.

• Administrators
I'm working on PS for my 240Z using an early 2000's Subi rack. The rack was removed and shortened 1/2" on both ends to closely match the stock rack width. The holes needed to be drilled deeper and tapped a bit more. Volvo S80inner tierods replaced the Subi units. Stock S30 outer tierods can be installed without any cutting to accomodate alignment. The crossmember was modified to drop the Subi rack about 3/4" which is equivalent to relocating the LCA hole for bumpsteer correction.

Mark,

Any pics of the shortened portion of the rack?

We are currently in the middle of using a ’92 Loyale rack in a bone stock ’78 S-30, (the female owner of this car needs lighter steering). We have the cross member altered and the rack bolted in and hanging under the car currently, undecided as t our approach to simply/inexpensively/quickly get the rack attached to the steering knuckles.

EDIT;

I just found in the other Subie rack thread that there are different inner ball joint thread sizes. I had better check ours before I go any any further.

……

For those interested, this rack is slow compared to the Datsun rack, not a quick rack like the WRX. I’ll have to get back to you on the exact rack travel per revolution of the steering wheel

Mark,

Any pics of the shortened portion of the rack?

We are currently in the middle of using a ’92 Loyale rack in a bone stock ’78 S-30, (the female owner of this car needs lighter steering). We have the cross member altered and the rack bolted in and hanging under the car currently, undecided as t our approach to simply/inexpensively/quickly get the rack attached to the steering knuckles.

EDIT;

I just found in the other Subie rack thread that there are different inner ball joint thread sizes. I had better check ours before I go any any further.

……

For those interested, this rack is slow compared to the Datsun rack, not a quick rack like the WRX. I’ll have to get back to you on the exact rack travel per revolution of the steering wheel

I don't know what differences there might be between the Impreza, WRX, and Loyale racks, but, if your Loyale has the long inner tie rods, why not just cut and thread the inner tie rod to accept the stock outer Subaru tie rod. The Subaru tie rod fits well into the Datsun steering knuckle. In this picture, the upper piece is the Impreza outer tie rod. Ignore that expensive little thingie in second place and look at the bottom piece. The bottom piece is the Impreza inner tie rod with an early Datsun outer end. The theads are the same for the Subaru and Datsun.

SubiMoogComparison1.JPG

There is a post and photograph somewhere on this forum from an Aussie who used the stock Subaru inners with a an outer tie rod from a 69 or so Sunny Datsun. This would appear to be a more elegant solution, if a straight line from rack end to steering knuckle doesn't create suspension bind or some great gobs of bump steer or such.

g

Braap, I'll get some photos up for you. The finished product is stock length to the S30 rack. As noted by others, the crossmember is modified at both ends to set the rack level correctly. The plus is the rack is lowered easing bumpsteer issues. The rack was removed and 1/2" cut off both ends. The holes were then drilled 1/2" deeper and additional threads cut (16-1.5 for my 2001 rack) to allow the inner tie rod to seat properly. Lastly, the two slots for the locking washer were cut again. This metal is DAMN hard to machine so you'll need quality tools and patience. The bitch is you need a piece of thin-walled sleeving (like shrink tubing) to reinstall the rack without possibly damaging the inner oil seal. Carfiche has the WRX manual that shows the process. Stock 2000 Volvo S80 inner tie rods were installed (NO modifications required). This allows me to use stock S30 tie rods (NO modifications required). I happened to buy that tool and a few other Subi ps rack tools off ebay for a LOT less than normal cost. The other bitch with the Subi rack is the oil seals are not marked. You need a VIN and production date to get replacements. Otherwise, you'll need to break out the dial indicator and head over to the seal/bearing distributor to find an alternative.