HybridZ

280z vs. 240z rear strut assemblies.

Mike C

I have a 75 280 parts car. Can I use my 240 suspension techniques springs and KYB struts in the 280 assembly? What is the process of converting to the ZX rear discs like in Scotties picture of the weld on CV adapter. I would like to r&r these 280 assemblies, weld on the CV adapter, then just swap out with my car in a weekend. Any thoughts?

Sorry Mike, I didn't see this post earlier. I believe the struts and springs will swap straight across. One thing I do not know--does ST use the same spring rates for both cars? I would think not. The 240 springs would feel a tiny bit softer on the 280 if the answer is in fact no. Not a bad thing, really. I would use them if I had them.

I believe all can be done on the rear end that you say regarding the adaptors, etc. It would be a lot of work in one weekend. But, provided you have the knowledge and the tools, just make sure the beer is cold and you should be ok.

Almost forgot--Ross Corrigan is selling/fabbing the rear mounts for 240sx rear disc upgrades through Modern Motorsports

Davy

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: DavyZ ]

Thanks. This will be on my 240,so spring rates should be OK. I have a 7000# 2 post lift in my home shop icon_biggrin.gif so it helps make for pretty fast work. I swapped in the 5 speed, springs and struts, and r200 in a weekend. If I could get the 280 struts and pieces all ready, Then pulling each assembly and swapping in the CV shafts and rear discs shouldn't be TOO bad icon_rolleyes.gif but Murphy is my foreman. I am definitely intersted in the CV adapters, and rear discs. Do you think the SX setup is better than the Maxima deal? One thing I have liked about working on Z's (I've had one since '92) is that you can still upgrade from the boneyard. (Cheap!)It's been 15 years since I could do that on the Camaros.

Hmmm, good question--the sourcing of parts for the 200SX stuff will be easier in the long run, I imagine. The parts are newer and there will be more available for the next ten years. One of the main problems with the Maxima bracket has been availability. Some guys will tell you they just went down to the Nissan dealer and picked them up, while others have tried the dealers, the junk yards, etc, all to no avail. I'm buying my brackets from Ross Corrigan's Modern Motorsports.

Davy

A lot of written info on this board split into a few threads now is summarized at http://www.modern-motorsports.com/

not trying to redirect from this board, just trying to reduce my typing of late

in short the bracket Mike and I are making allows the use of 11-3/8's rotors(vs. 10" in other setups). the larger diameter rotor allows 'free' braking effort increase by the ~15% greater radius from centre to point of brake pad friction application...as well larger rotor makes CV flange clearance greater and ebrake cable geometry is improved with the 240sx caliper

[ August 02, 2001: Message edited by: Ross C ]

The rear brake bracket bolts on all 70-78 rear hubs as they're identical for the purposes of this rear brake kit. Timeframe estimates are on that web above as well,(they're only estimates until enough $ is in as that depends on the customers, then it's up to me...till then spread the word to get the required committments sooner). CV's detailed on the website as well.