HybridZ

help identifying parts

Z32Dreamer

Hey guys I have a bunch of datsun rear differentials and 5spd transmissions sitting in the shop i came accross by accident. I really have no way or know how to identify them without know what car or year they came out of.

Does anyone know how to identify these rearends and or transmissions by part no.. or even where to find the part no.

The reaar ends are easy,

The smaller R-180 has a more or less square rear cover and the output shaft seals are in bolted on flanges on the sides. Those flanges are also the way to dissassemble the rear diff.

The R-200s are much bigger and have NO bolted-on side flanges. The rear cover is more round and hemispherical.

The trannys are pictured in the various manuals and should be easy to identify by the number of shifter positions and the shifter housing design.

The only real difference is that the early A-boxes have a unique shifter housing. The 1972 and later B-boxes are the most common and share a great deal with the later 5 speeds.

All of the halfshafts fit the same from 1970 to 1978. There are some that use NON-replaceable U-joints but people have managed to replace them anyway.

There are some harder to find parts that may be worth keeping,

Steering parts including the columns(completely unavailable new)

front crossmembers(the later designs are beefier)

mustache bars(the diff mounting bar/spring)

control arms(easily bent in accidents)

driveshafts are endlessly repaiable but some folks are looking for the early short-shafts.

The list goes on.