HybridZ

Two big men in a small car...

RPMS

The sticker on the glovebox door lists the payload weight of my 260 as being 420 lbs. That's laughable, especially when one considers that Blaine and I already weigh more than that, and I'm bulking up in the gym. Add some luggage for a weekend trip, (and 25 more pounds for me by the end of the year) and we're exceeding the rated carrying capacity of the vehicle by 25% or more. I've considered making a little trailer for Blaine to sit in, towed behind the Z, but I somehow don't think that would paint a pretty picture. icon_smile.gif "Okay, it's time to go. You're too heavy to fit in the cabin, so sit down in your trailer." icon_eek.gif

My question is this: How do I increase payload capacity w/o having the ride become bone-crushing? I've been considering the Datsun European Z springs (allegedly 15% stiffer) but I'm not sure that's enough to keep us from smacking the bump stops on a regular basis.

And am I on the right track in thinking that the springs are the key to upping the capacity?

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Springs definitely help, but most are lower so you lose travel, so it's almost a wash. One thing that can help is the urethane strut bump stops so it won't slam down as hard. Converting to coilovers should give you both height and almost infinite spring rate adjustability.

Actually I've been toying with a 'solution' to those wanting stock height with the stiffer/lower aftermarket springs. A simple plate that would stack on top of your OEM perch and bolt to the existing strut studs and have it's own studs protruding on which you could add slip on spacers if desired. The 'base' plate would be like a bolt on wheel adaptor but cheaper and very easy to have made. If you're interested drop me a line as it won't take many wanting this to make it happen.

As well many companies make custom coil springs, anything progressive will suit your needs best. Not bone jarring but can still take a hefty load when needed. I loved my TRW springs out back on my 280zx, they tolerated a LOT of weight and treated me quite well at all speeds including road racing/lapping days. None offered for Z's though from TRW that I know of.

Thanks, Mike. I hadn't considered urethane bump stops - do you have any idea where I could source some of those puppies? Are they a standard speedshop item?

And it sounds like a great excuse to convert to coilovers. The adjustability and the ability to fit wider wheels makes it almost a no-brainer, doesn't it?

And Ross, your adjustable spring perch idea sounds great! I'd like to keep a realistic ride height, so my fiberglass pieces stay in one piece. They sound like just the ticket.

quote:

Originally posted by Eskimo1:

Generally speaking, the GVWR is not only the limit of the springs, but the vehicle itself. ...you *should* be OK... But don't make any sudden moves with the car...

ROFLOL!! What, ME, make sudden directional changes in a Z-car? Never! These are straight line machines, right? icon_wink.gif

Guest Anonymous

Generally speaking, the GVWR is not only the limit of the springs, but the vehicle itself. However, it's usually on the conservative side, so if you uprate your springs, you *should* be OK... But I disclaim any responsibility..and don't make any sudden moves with the car...