HybridZ

MSnS won't read spark table

Zmanco

I've recently added spark control using MS1 v3 and MSnS and an MSD 6AL. I've got everything working except one important thing: when I set Fixed Angle = -10 on the spark setting, the timing goes to 10 ATDC instead of reading the spark table. If I change the Fixed Angle setting, the timing changes as it should. Changing values in the spark table has no effect regardless of the value in the Fixed Angle field.

When the spark table is displayed, the bin being used is highlighted and moves around as it should according to rpm and MAP. However, the timing light shows that the timing isn't changing.

I've tried resetting the MS, restarting megatune, and also rebooting the laptop, but nothing makes a difference. Also, although I don't need to use it, Trim Angle has no affect on the measured timing either.

Attached are some screenshots. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but I've gone over all the settings multiple times and am out of things to try.

spark settings_thumb.jpg

spark table_thumb.jpg

spark table selection_thumb.jpg

idle advance_thumb.jpg

megasquirt200806111006.zip

This may sound stupid but I had the same issue with an old version of the firmware. If I set the trigger angle to -10 it would not use the table. My solution at the time was to type in -20. It would automatically jump to -10 and it would start using the tables. weird but it did work. Also what are you using to trigger the MS unit?

Good idea Xander, but unfortunately it didn't work for me this time. I also tried using the number pad to input -10 with no success. I'm wondering if there is some other setting or combination of settings that results in this issue.

The MS is triggered by a 280zx turbo distributor that I just installed.

Xander suggestion gave me the idea that perhaps I had a software/firmware compatibility issue so I reloaded megatune as well as the ms firmware (029y4). Megatune is now listed as 2.25 P3 vs. just 2.25 on the previous version. The firmware finished the download without errors, but listed the installed version as 029y3. I don't remember if it reported that when I did the original install. I know MS runs a little loose with its rev control, but still wonder if this is this normal?

In any event, even after the updates the problem remains.

Other ideas?

UPDATE: Matt from diyautotune.com figured it out. The soft rev limiter was at 100 rpm with a Soft Limit Absolute Timing of -10. As soon as the engine started (actually, while cranking) the rev limiter kicked in. Raising the soft rev limit to 7k solved everything. I hadn't changed those values so figured they were the defaults. Just goes to show with MS that you have to check everything.

Thanks Matt!