HybridZ

How to put a lien on a vehicle in CA? (semi lengthy)

rustrocket

To make a long story short, my dad got screwed by his old business partner (isnt that always the case?!) who is now in jail for unrelated reasons (and apparently is a compulsive liar and has been screwing people out of their money for years). He bought a '01 corvette with a loan in his name, and said his partner could use the car as long as he kept making monthly payments. My dad moved to Peru in december, and then the old partner missed 3 months of payments, illegally transferred the corvette into his name by forging my dad's signature. Somehow, the credit union was unaware of this. The only way my dad could get the title (even though it wasn't in his name) was to payoff the vehicle. The plan from there was to have the car transferred back into my dad's name, then report the car stolen. The credit union repeatedly assured myself and my dad that the title would come to the address on the account, (me). However, after paying the car off and not seeing the title for 6 weeks, we got curious. After calling the credit union, they told me that the dmv sent the title to the address where it was registered (the old business partner).

Recap: The title is now in the business partner's name, and in his possession. My dad is 5 figures out of pocket with nothing to show for it and we're trying to figure out how to get the car back.

So, can anybody tell me if it's possible to place a lien on the car so it can't be sold without my/my dad's permission? Do i need the title to do this? I've searched to the best of my capabilities within the CA dmv and affilitated websites to no avail. Unfortunately, i've been stuck doing all the legwork since my dad is out of the country and suffering health issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Cam "rustrocket"

Hmmm...Easier said than done. It wasn't actually the old business partner who signed it, it was somebody else who he was manipulating at the time. Pursuing forgery charges would essentially put an elderly woman in jail, and my dad doesnt want to go that route.