HybridZ

NZR: Help passing OBDII Check

naviathan

My wife's 2004 Suzuki Forenza refuses to pass emissions. I bought the car at auction for $5500. It's runs great, the only thing I had to do was fix a vacuum leak around the EGR and all the codes in the computer cleared. The only thing holding it back now is the drive cycle on the EVAP and CAT systems. They're both showing a Not Ready status, no matter how long I drive the car, no matter what I do to the car it will not clear the Not ready code on the EVAP or CAT. I know we have some pretty top notch auto techs here so I was hoping someone would have some insight on this problem. I've got about 200 miles on the car since the last time I pulled the battery connection and when I called the dealer their tech said that it needed to be driven more. How far do I have to drive this thing before it clears the codes!?!?!?!?! Please tell me there's a trick to this thing that no one seems to understand here.

First, I would check for TSB's. See if you can get the info on the parameters on the self test. It tells you the prerequisites and operating parameters for the self test to complete. Maybe one of the guys at the dealer will print it for you. Or search online. I know on Toyota, a marginal cat will not complete a test, and stop other tests from completing.

First, I would check for TSB's. See if you can get the info on the parameters on the self test. It tells you the prerequisites and operating parameters for the self test to complete. Maybe one of the guys at the dealer will print it for you. Or search online. I know on Toyota, a marginal cat will not complete a test, and stop other tests from completing.

Checked with the dealership already, no TSBs for the related systems and all the sites online for TSBs and Recall info want money.

You might want to check with your emissions station.

In GA, 2 systems can show not completed and still pass.

I know, because my CAT system STILL shows not ready, and I have over 5K on it since I passed my emissions.

I have a friend that works for the Ford Dealership who does my inspections. Trust me if he could pass it he would.

Interesting thing about the state run OBDII testing here is you simply reset the computer just before you go through testing.... of course you "fail" because of the not ready codes, but they return your cash and tell you to come back in 2 weeks. They ask you if you recently had work on the car or had the battery disconnected. The next day you repeat the test the same way and as soon as they plug the connector in, you get a pass. The system seems not to understand the not ready situation and they just pass you on your second test. No visual inspection I know the "pass" flag seems to come up alot faster than the regular test, but the testers are unaware.

I KNOW this works in Maryland. I am not familiar with the NC systems.

Yeah, disconnecting the battery will bring you back to square one. Some cars it takes maybe an hour of driving. Others take days. I have seen cars that were so screwed up they would reset the drive cycle every time the car was shut off, but that would mean all the systems wouldn't be ready.

I guess I'm not bing clear on this. There is no code left on the system. The car is code free. The only thing failing it right now is the drive cycle won't complete on the EVAP and CAT systems. Reseting the ECU again won't help and Advance can't clear a not ready code with a scanner.