HybridZ

turbo to blower

okay, i know the following question may seem stupid:icon45:, and im sure ill catch some flak for asking, but centrifugal superchargers are almost identical to turbos except(obviously) the blowers belt driven and spins the impellers with a internally oiled(usually) gear drive system whereas the turbo is exhaust-gas driven, and im looking to supercharge my car (turbo-ing it would require me to ditch my awesome header/catback setup i just bought)

...sooo i was wondering if anyones thought of possibly taking a good condition turbo and machining it to be belt driven? what all would i need to do to get it to operate reliably without overheating/ oiling issues, etc...and would i need a larger turbo to make as much boost as a smaller one being exhaust driven..

or better yet if anyone could find or sell me a decent used centri' supercharger thatd be great too..

again i just like to throw ideas out there, some of 'em might seem stupid but im always thinking and this forum is a nice place to vent..:)

yeah, thats why i like the idea of a centri', sure it makes boost a little less responsive than a standard roots style, but the centri' is pretty much adaptable to anything AND WAY easier to intercool, the only problem is their so damn expensive compared to roots and turbos

I think a turbo impeller shaft is way to weak to withstand pulsations from a gear driven system. It wouldn't be worth the effort...

Ford thunderbird superchargers (M90??) show up on Ebay all the time for DIRT cheap.

I suggest Corky Bell's book on supercharging...(never read it, but I have his turbo book "maximum boost" and it is great)