HybridZ

GTR In-Tank Pump Mounted in 260Z Baffled Tank fitted to 240Z- How to & Pics

Bishopsrock

Ok, I have done something that is a little different and I thought I should document it for the benefit of others on Hybrid Z who may want to give it a go but who are unsure of what it will entail or whether it can be made to work properly.

Whilst some people have obviously considered this route, I might be wrong, but I think that I am the first to actually do this???

Before going on, it is important that I confirm that I have fully finished this mod and that my car is fully working, has been tested by RB Motorsport and is on the road having passed a UK MOT.

The benefits (as I saw them):-

Firstly, it is virtually silent because pump pressure is relative to engine revs - I can't hear any pump noise as I drive or at idle. In fact the pump seems to switch off as soon as the fuel rail reaches the required pressure.

Secondly, you should read up on this forum about people having a fuel pressure problem, having to buy & install a nismo regulator and then having a nightmare trying to configure it.

Thirdly, the GTR in-tank pump is extremely complex being controlled by its own computer which is in turn controlled by the ecu - Nissan didn't go to all this trouble and expense for nothing. I'm sure they considered the ease and cash saving of simply bunging on a walbro pump or similar - but they didn't do that did they!

This is what I did. I managed to buy a baffled US 260z relatively rust free tank. We had to cut two large access holes in the tank which were sealed with aero style fuel tank plates as shown below:-

IMGP3053.jpg

The access holes enabled us to fit the GTR fuel pump which sits in a metal shoe. The fuel pump itself has a special bag on the end of the pickup line. The bag and pickup line seem free to swing about with the fuel. I am told that if any part (even the tip of a corner) of this hi-tech bag is in contact with fuel then the pump will suck it up. Below is a picture of the pump mounted in its shoe inside the tank:-

IMGP3067.jpg

The next problem was how to get the power wires for the pump out through the tank. We had them embossed through one of the access plates by a process used in aero fuel tanks as shown in the two pictures below:-

IMGP3066.jpg

IMGP3056.jpg

Ok, the pump is now mounted in the tank but thats not the end of the story because we need to mount the fuel pump computer and fuel pump relay which in the GTR are both mounted in the boot.

I was short of space under the dash and so looked for a spot in the back of my 240z. I found that the vapour tank was in the right spot. I had always wanted to get rid of it and now was my chance. I replaced the US breather with a used UK fuel tank breather and disconnected all of the many hoses. I also blocked up the hose outlets on the tank.

I then realised that I could cut the back off the vapour tank so that I was left with a perfect plate on which to mount the fuel pump electrics. I ground down the sharp edges and painted the inside of it white. The fuel pump computer, relay and fuse fitted perfectly as shown below:-

IMGP3049.jpg

Once connected and in place hey presto, other than the wires and a couple of screw heads, you can hardly notice that its there at all as shown below:-

IMGP3052.jpg

An added benefit could be that if you needed to disable the car, then it would be very sneaky to simply remove the fuel pump relay because no one would go looking for your trick in the vapour tank!!!

If you decide to do this then please note that the GTR pump is very fragile and the service manual states that if it is knocked or dropped that it should be replaced and not re-used.

This conversion has worked fine for me and the car is so quick that its unreal. I have no fuel delivery issues and am more than happy with how its turned out.

Cheers

nice job indeed. i have a couple of q's. do u have a pic of the other side of the tank, showing the fuel lines in/out?

eliminating the vapor tank, has this caused any problems with filling/emptying of the tank and where did you route the lines from the tank [i believe there are 3] to?

Wow... you did a great job man. Thanks for sharing. I have a couple of questions:

Are you using the stock GT-R ECU?

Is it possible to use this using a Standalone EMS?

Hi The answer is yes to both questions. I am currently using a stock GTR ecu but plan to replace it with an Apexi Power FC. Rod at RB Motorsport is going to map the Apexi once I have it. Also, he has plugged in an Apexi to check my sensors as I do not have a diagnostics plug and it ran fine even on default settings.

Cheers

nice job indeed. i have a couple of q's. do u have a pic of the other side of the tank, showing the fuel lines in/out?

eliminating the vapor tank, has this caused any problems with filling/emptying of the tank and where did you route the lines from the tank [i believe there are 3] to?

Hi,

Here below is a pic of the fuel lines:-

IMGP3057.jpg

There are no problems filling the tank. I know people have said that there will be air locks etc and the like but from my own experience of the tank totally emptying my wallet, I can say that those theories are a load of hot air!

What I did with the spare outlets was to block them up. I used a short length of hose with a welded up pipe inserted in the other end. I should have instructed the welder to do it whilst all the work was being done on the tank but I'm stupid and overlooked it at the time!

The big thing that I didn't do was install a new 'O' seal to the sender unit and my first tank of fuel leaked away because of this so don't let that happen to you.

With the UK setup you need to curl the vent line round in a coil as shown in the 6th pic. I don't know why but all the uk cars have this pipe installed this way.

Cheers

wow thats a hell of a job man! hate to go off topic but do you think something similar would be necessary for an rb25? Im planning on installing one of those in my 280z. Would love to have done a 26 but i just cant afford it right now =/ By the way I like the anti theft idea of yours thats pretty clever.