HybridZ

300zx Turbo Shifter (87 Turbo)

Careless

I can't get my shifter off.

took the console out, removed 4 bolts... I see two bolts at the front that are wide and require a screwdriver to remove. How the hell am I supposed to get to those with enough force?

Is there something else I'm missing. It's the last thing I need to remove before dropping my transmission off the car. Can anyone help? I have the haynes and FSM and it says "remove shifter" on the FSM and the haynes is only displaying FS5R90A T5 and FS5W17C, and the crap auto.

I would hate for this to be the thing that stops me from driving my car again... ever :-(

WTF :cry2:

I don't understand.

how can I get the shifter OFF if there are two large deeply nested screws holding the two front ears of the shift plate down?

How can I access this compress ring if I don't have a way of getting the shifter off.

I just looked at mine, you don't need to take the 4 bolts and 2 screws out to remove your shifter. There is a compress ring clip just in side the hole your shifter goes into, you should see two little holes on each side off the clip ring,used the needle nose and sqease together and pull out and your shifter will come out. Almost possitive....

Remove the center console in the car between the seats. Remove the dust boots that are around the shift lever(There are 2) Remove the c-clip that hold the shift lever in the transmission and remove it and its socket. There are two, the wrong one will release springs and stuff, don't take it out, take out the smaller diameter one.

this is from z31 web site.... Good luck..

Thank you greatly.

I just removed the second dust boot and saw the circlips before coming in and reading this. I remember reading that releasing the wrong one will release the check ball into the case.

So I came in here to check and you came to save the day :D

Now all i need to do is loosen the engine mounts and jack the engine up slightly and yell at the transmission until it gets sad and slides off.

Hopefully it's that easy.