HybridZ

RX7 Wheel Studs.

I currently have 2nd gen. Rx7 wheel studs on my hubs. From the hub the stud comes out 1.7''. My problem is the threaded portion is only 1'' from the outside leaving .7'' of the stud unthreaded and I cant get the lugnut down deep enough.

I think I've seen pics (Jon's maybe) of a rx7 stud that was threaded all the way. Is there a particular brand or store that has these studs that are threaded deep?

Here's my stud: as you can see even the knurl is too long! Help!

IMG_13631.JPG

My current ones are ARP. I had others that I got from the local hardware store previously. They were the typical orange boxed parts that you find behind the counters of most auto parts stores, with all the freeze plugs, etc. I can't recall the name. Anyway both sets were threaded all the way down.

After driving all around town and trying to deal with idiot part store people I said screw it and bought the ARP studs from summit.

Just for refererence the Summit part # is ARP 100-7708 and are currently $12.95 for a set of 5. A bargain considering some of the auto part stores wanted $2.99 each for a dorman stud.

Dorman, that's what my 2nd gen RX7 studs were.

I had my stub axles out (swapped in 280 axles) so it wasn't an issue for me. I see from your control arm thread that you have rear disk brakes. If you don't have a caliper bracket that goes all the way around the stub axle then you should be able to squeeze the studs in. If you do, then you'll have to pull the stub axle.

For those with drums, you can drill a hole large enough to feed the stud through the backing plate.