HybridZ

Automatic or manual decision

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i posted my question on weather to go with the automatic or manual in the chevy message board but decided to put my decision here because i figure this would be a better place. i think im going with the automatic because of it being better documented, because of some of the dilemmas you guys are having with manuals such as overdrives, the manual not being able to take as much HP and the such. i mean the way i see it is that the closest to getting everything in one package is with the automatic. tell me what you guys think.

Guest JAMIE T

I agree with BLKMGK, do what you want. I've decided that after reading Petes reply, I'm going to yank the motor and trans from my Z28 when we(the little lady and I) get our Tahoe for her to drive daily. I will just sell the Z28 with no motor or trans for $3000 or so. I wont have to question the reliability of the engine since I have been the only one working on and driving it for years. Whatever you do, make sure you get an overdrive trans. TH700R4, TH200R4, I would not use a TH350 or 400 because of no OD. My '71 turns @2800-3000rpm at highway speeds with its stock 4 spd and 3.36 rear. I'm constantly reaching for another gear that I don't have. It screams down the interstate. When I do the V8 conversion I'm going to run a 3.90 gear with the T56. Thats my .02 cents worth. I honestly cannot afford to buy a LT1/T56 combo, and if I did not have it, I would go with an automatic trans.

Jamie

Deathstar

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JAMIE T

I have two Zcars, one is the one I got fromm Mikelly (which is to become the Deathstar Ferrari 250GTO replica), it is on the back burner. The other one is the BLKMGK posted a pic of a couple of months ago(thanks again by the way). I drive it everyday, and it is my first priority. I'm planning the LT1/T56 swap for that car. The swap will be done on my time, as the car runs too good right now to mess with it mechanically. I am doing electrical, suspension, and body(and rust)repair to it now. I'm only doing alittle at a time so the car is never undrivable. Sorry if anyone was confused.

Jamie

Deathstar

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Your first gear would be darn near a granny gear with a T56 and a 3:90 wouldn't it?

I would spend the money and get the gears from NISMO for a 3:36 R200.

The guy that runs Modern Motorsports has a ring and pinion for a 3:36 for $300....well worth it to me.

jake

I've got a 3.7 in my Z now and a T56. I can't say I've driven it much but I've not found that the 1st gear is objectionable. Unfortunatly I've also not gotten it up to a high enough speed to check out 5th or 6th. As much as it grumbled skipping from 2nd to 4th I'll be interested to see how it performas in the higher gears.

Anyway, a 3.90 isn't too far of from 3.7. I'd think it would be okay so long as the tire wasn't really short. I think the range of tires we're running may make some difference... icon_rolleyes.gif

Well Ron Tyler said he used 1st gear once with his T56 and it was 2nd from then on as 1st was too short with his OEM LT1 power. And my father's agreed on that one. 2nd gear starts seem normal

icon_biggrin.gif I tend to prefer gearing a setup for 2nd/3rd and 4th than 1st gear.......with any spirited hybrid motor 1st gear should be requiring driver control anyhow and the more spirit it has this grows to 2nd/3rd etc.

Guest Anonymous

I think 3.90 would be higher than I'd want to go. Even 3.54's cause a really low first, second gear starts no problem, although just like F body cars 3rd gear is where it really starts to rock (at least my car). I'd like numerically lower than 3.54 even personally, since my cruise RPM is nearing 1800 @ 70mph. Top end isn't a problem, I just wish they had put a taller 1st in the T56.

Regards,

Lone

[ August 21, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]

With only a 2.66 first gear, 3.90 and a 25" tire seem ideal. I have a 2.64 first in the camaro with 4.10 gears and 26" tires. This combo sucks on the highway, but I don't have a .50 top gear icon_biggrin.gif Admittedly you need a little room to rev. If your motor will turn 6000-6200 you'll be happy. Otherwise, 3.70 would be good.