HybridZ

'81 zxt trannie swap info?

Guest waffles

Guest waffles

I have a spare fairly well built THM350 sitting around in my garage and am considering swapping it into my '81 280zxt project (the factory 3-speed is virtually shot). Does anyone have any info on this?

How about opinions on the swap idea? So many people tell me I either need to go factory 5-speed or even a B-W T-56.

What I'm needing to know is where I can get a bellhousing for any of these transmissions, shift linkage for the possibility of the manuals, clutch pedals, etc and honestly anything else I might have to know.

My drive shaft is going to be custom made, and I'm not sure about my choice of rear diff (it's got a bit of a whine in it, too). I'm going to keep the factory motor, too.

If you're gonna do any freeway driving, I'd say go with a 700R4 instead.

Warren (with just a bit of help from me) has developed a kit to swap a GM tranny to the L series engines. I plan on putting in a 4L60E using the kit to replace my BW T5 setup.

If you go with the BW T5, you don't need a custom driveshaft.

Guest waffles

So I wouldn't need a custom drive shaft for a BW T-5 or T-56?

I was thinking about a 700R4 or a 4l60E as common as they are but damn they tend to need a lot more work to make them particularly viable extreme use transmissions. are you going to use a custom TCM for your 4l60e?

I'm interested in this kit, though..