HybridZ

r200 swap question

Guest zfan

I am currently looking to upgrade my 71 Z. The Z has a r180 354 rear end, is there any specific r200 rear end to look out for or any one rear end to stay away from?

All Z in Kennendale Tx. 45 minutes away said they have a 3.90 r200 with half shafts and mustache bar for 110.00. Does this sound fare? Ive heard that I should look for r200 with finned case? Whats the difference? Ok by now you figured Im not to savvy when it comes to Z rear ends. All the more reason to pick your brains!

Thanks Mike icon_rolleyes.gif

The finned cover is the limited slip. On a '71 you need the lower control arm brace that goes between the vertical mounts as well as the mustache bar. It is clearanced because the diff in the 72 and later cars is moved back to change the half shaft angles. This minimizes u-joint angles and vibrations, so you get a double bonus by upgrading on a 71 and earlier car. $110 sounds like a good deal to me. What is this r200 out of? What about the mustache bar? I don't think they ever put a 3.90 in a 280z which is what you need the mustache bar and lower mount from.

Guest Anonymous

Zfan,

I believe that the 81-83 280ZX N/A came with an R200 3.90 if it was equipped with a 5 speed.

I am not as savvy as alot of the people on this board, but $110 does not seem like it's too out of line for an R200. I paid $350 for an R200 3.90 and a 5 speed trans out of an 82... if that helps you at all. It would probably be a good idea to negotiate the price WITH the mustache bar and rear mount that Mike C mentioned.

Good luck with the swap, I'd be interested to hear how it goes. i will likely be doing the same swap on my 72 very soon.

Just to be overly redundantly clear, as Mike C wrote, the only thing you can use from a ZX is the actual R200 diff. The ZX shafts and mounts and such won't work with a 240Z.

You will need to get the Mustache bar and rear transverse bar from a 73-78 Z car. If the local yards don't have these, ZBarn does.

Oh, and I'd say $110 is reasonable.