HybridZ

Internal regulator bad?

I swapped a 90 amp maxima alternator into my '77 280z and did the maxifuse upgrade at the same time. After I got all the wiring sorted out it worked well...around 13v at idle and 14.5 under throttle, for months. I was working on it the other day when I accidentally touched the +coming out of the alternator to the ground and there was a big spark. Since then it hasn't worked right. It seems to hold around 12.5v but dosen't change any with throttle. When I disconnect it the voltage drops down around 12.1v so it's definitely doing something. If I pull it off the battery and check the output it's around 18v. I went and had it tested at Advance Auto and it checked OK. Does this sound like a messed up voltage regulator and if so what can I do to fix it?

• 2 weeks later...

You said the alternator tested OK, but my guess is that, regardless what the guy at the parts store says, its probably bad. Take it somewhere else and have it tested. Have you had to swap the pulley over? Why not find a good auto electrical place that will test it AND sell you the parts to rebuild it, rather than getting a rebuilt in taiwan alternator that you will need to tweak anyhow to change the pulley on? That way you never need to rely on a parts store for a "rebuilt" alternator again, and you make a good contact for the future.

just to be 100% clear... you DID remove the external voltage regulator as part of the maxi fuse swap, correct??

• 2 weeks later...