HybridZ

machine shop costs

i talked to a guy in conneticut, and he tried to sell me a driveshaft for like 300 bucks, and i asked him how much it cost to have it made, and he said $250. and i told him that i can have one made for like around or below $100. so if anybody has anything like that and want to save money, let me know and i can have it done for you with a small fee (gas money) pretty much, i just wanted to put that out there.

I don't know where you are getting driveshafts made for $100, and quite frankly I would not want to buy a $100 driveshaft.

$300 is typical for a new driveshaft. I paid $275 for a "stock" replacement driveshaft for a 1975 280z and it came with serviceable u-joints (zerk fittings).

My custom driveshaft for the boys 510 was done at Inland Empire Driveline Service for $150, with me supplying the trunnions and U-Joints for them to shaft to and balance.

An aluminum one would run $275 or thereabouts because I can't supply them with the aluminum bits.

IEDLS runs shops in Corona and Ontario. And yes, it's the same one you see in all the national magazines and they do supply the larger merchandisers with product (Jegs, Summitt, etc...)

Locally, their work is reasonable. They did our Bonneville Car's Aluminum Unit, and it's balanced to 10000 rpms. Not much of an error factor when in fifth (direct drive) we may be turning upwards of 9500 rpms...

Not bad for $250 (at the time...)