HybridZ

My first Z...erm Z's.

EverRude

I'm in the process of doing the engine swap. I'll be installing the turbo and using the upgraded alternator so I'll do that mod as well.

My thread in the troubleshooting section explains why I am starting this swap finally. If you haven't read that recently you might wanna check it out.

I'm hoping that this turbo swap guide will do the trick for me. Seems a little vauge on a few points but it'll be a big help especially since he's swapping from an 81 ZX like me. The odd ECU harness would be trickier without his guide. Having pulled the harness for my 75 Z now I finally see the whole thing and how everything was connected. Harder to visualize seeing it all one connector at a time.

Expect more posts about the actual swap soon. Including pics. Eventually. Left my camera out in the rain this afternoon. Now it refuses to work. Dang. That's a first though. I usually drop them to break them.

hmmmmmmmmmm

What bits of the 75 harness will you NOT be using?????

because they may be of MAJOR assistance to me...

off to read that swap guide you linked to to see if I can answer my own question! :mrgreen:

Bro feel free to come on up and get the whole engine with the entire EFI harness attached... after the Z is running with the ZX motor :)

I'll say this. The injector connections on the Z harness are crap. Very loose and corroded green. Probably part of the problem I was having getting it to start. And I had considered using the ECU casing for a Megasquirt later. A waste of what might be a good ECU but I tend to collect far too many parts. Seriously if you need any of the harness bits after the Z is running I got no problem sending them to ya. You pay shipping ofcourse :)

I will need to go and examine my car in the daylight.. but you know the large white plastic bracket with all the harness plugs in it, above the fuse panel? On my car, the upper, innermost black, 10+2 gang connector, is melted and destroyed. I can re-use it for the top-side connector wire, and most of the gang of ten, but the bottom side connector wire is the green fuel pump wire that burnt. I am totally up in the air as to how I am going to proceed with my saga, and I *may* have pieces from my dad's 78 280Z that I can re use without much hassle and patch together a good, reliable harness.. but I very well may not.

At what point in the chassis did you stop yanking wiring from the 75?

Well, I really need to go an examine the damaged area in more detail. Once I unbolted that white bracket and REALLY got an eyeful of the damage, I was too disgusted to examine it closely and know exactly where and what is done, how... so let me take a good look at the bad stuff and I will get back with you.

• 1 month later...
Long story short. I've always wanted a Z. 240 was preferable but hard to come by around here not costing alot or too rusted to bother with. I recently sold my "beater" 87 Fiero GT and thought it was time to see about a Z.

I got lucky. Just a few miles away a guy had 2 sitting near the road. No for sale sign or anything but I stopped to ask. He said he was selling them and had planned to put out an Ad next week. I took a look. Eh. A bit rusty and beat but not totally shot. Mostly all there and mostly all original. Two Z's. 1975 with a 5 speed from somewhere. And a 1981 Turbo automatic. Both rough repairable.

I ended up buying them both for $650.

The 75 has a bottom end knock. But the owner claimed the 81 had a smooth running motor he drove till a full pump shut it down. It certainly was clean. My intention is to swap the 81 motor into the 75. Also I plan to swap wheels and tires from 81 to 75. Rearend maybe too?

My questions are. How difficult is it to dothe motor swap with the Turbo compared to without the turbo? Is the automatic motor to manual car going to add any problems? Like balance issues with flywheels / dampers... whatnot.

Oh and here's some pics. More to come when I actually get the cars home. It was about to start raining and I needed to get home before the wife caught me :P

75001.jpg

75002.jpg

75003.jpg

81001.jpg

81002.jpg

Well congratulations. I was going to buy both myself but you beat me to them. I have a 77 and just bought a 78 that is in nice shape (not counting the strange electrical problem I have right now). I will post a couple of pictures when I can. If you want to get rid of the automatic transmission and ecu let me know. I live in Dothan. Work down the street from where you bought those, I have been driving a blue 280Z to work lately, maybe you have seen it.

Good luck and maybe we can help each other out sometime. I will post pics of both of mine when I get a chance. Talk to you later and congrats again!

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get it swapped mechanically except for reinstalling the driveshaft (low priority) and mounting the AFM correctly (requires fenderwell mod).

It now cranks over, fuel is delivered (fuel pump temporarily set to run in "ON"), and just yesterday I managed to get spark. Now it's just a matter of firing the injectors. Then wire up the internally regulated altenator.

Progress is being made but I got frustrated and convinced I couldn't get it running without spending anymore money I didn't have. Decided to cut my losses and sell it. Posted in for sale section.

However I am getting closer to getting it to run. If so it'll come off the market or the price will go up.

Hang in there. My 1978 is not running either. It was perfect until I came along. Someone installed a kill switch under the dash that I did not see until a week later. I must have hit it because it would not start for a week. No it runs but I lost the water temp gauge and it surges while idling. 500 to 1000 rpms, up and down up and down. I am thinking water temp sensor maybe? or AFM. I am going to swap a part or two from my 1977 to the 78 to see if I can find the culprit. I hope you get it running, would be nice to have a few more here in LA (lower alabama). There are suppose to be several in this area. We need to get them all together so we all have a source for some help when things like this come up. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...