HybridZ

Roll Call! Who here....

How many of you here have a Fuel Injected Z that has had the fuel pump wire replaced or re-run? Because on mine, and on some others that I know of, this is the case. The PO cut the FP wire under the passenger seat and spliced in another wire and ran it to the fuel pump. I put a multimeter on the wires, the original wire has 0.001 ohm of resistance, and does not short to ground. Why would someone replace an apparently perfect wire?

I don't know.

My car had the ghetto-rigged fuel pump wire, run off of an accessory-switched circuit with a separate fuse...

and then, five years after i started DDing it, somehow the stock fuel pump wire shorted out and burned to a crisp and is the cause of the tale entitled "Fusible Links Blow" in my sig.

Figure it out. Fix it. For peace of mind.

If it's anything like mine was, it has a lot to do with all the circuitry involved in the fuel pump:

First there is the microswitch in the AFM (closes when the AFM sees flow) - mine was bypassed by cutting those 2 wires and splicing

Then it all has to trigger the fuel pump relay (mine was under the passenger seat, so I imagine that's fairly common) - mine worked, but I've seen a couple where the AFM switch was bad, so the relay wouldn't close; rather than troubleshoot and repair properly, most people trace the circuit as far as the passenger side relay and just jumper it out somehow

Not the best way to do it, but I guess it works?

when I got my 78, the pos. wire under the passenger seat had a long peice of wire with alligator clips on it. One end was clipped to a random hot fuse (not sure which fuse is which) and the other to the pos. wire. I have NO idea why they did it, unless they were troubleshooting, because the fuel relay works fine! lol