HybridZ

showing off my new FW and asking for clutch advice...

icarus

just got this beauty for my L28 turbo>

4.3kilos = 9.47 lbs

chromoly

...im sure you are all familiar with this unit

fw1.jpg

fw2.jpg

even though the nine and a half pounds alone is a massive loss in weight from the (what 24ish lb?) stock piece i suspect that the rotational load will be reduced even further due to the majority of that mass being so far inboard...?

it is a 225mm fw, as opposed to a 240mm turbo/2+2 size.

now what i am looking for is a clutch to match up with this baby on my l28et powered 280z.

my goal is to be putting 300-3??hp to the wheels with a crank hp approaching 400 as i tune and upgrade other components.

really i am just looking for a quality unit to hold the 300-400hp/ftlb range that i am shooting for. also i am trying to keep weight in mind ( to stay on the low rotational mass theme).

brands, stats,weights,sprung versus unsprung units???

any input/advice/commentary?

(i put this in the L6 forum because this unit is specifically for the L6s...i hope it is appropriate )

oh, also gotta plug Brian and Z Car Customs: http://www.zccjdm.com/

dont know if any/how many are familiar with this operation yet

but he has been a pleasure to deal with.

thanks for reading guys,

Brian

Guest datsun 280zx turbo

sorry i dont have agood clutch to recommend, i was just wondering.... i thought about going to a light weight fw for my turbo, but i heard they didnt benefit turbos so much. any thoughts, or explanations of fly's?

well how about this 'kit'

http://www.clutchnet.com/product.php?productid=21937&cat=0&page=1 ?

my main concerns are power/torque capacity and weight is of some consideration if they vary widely; as mentioned above^

i thought about going to a light weight fw for my turbo, but i heard they didnt benefit turbos so much. any thoughts, or explanations of fly's?

i have seen a ridiculous amount of controversy on this subject, have done a lot of research myself, and have decided to go with the lightest FW i could get my hands on.

from what i know/have gathered:

the FWs purpose is to store rotational energy. it resists both speeding up and slowing down and exerts all if its force to keep the engine moving at a constant speed (rpm) basically. a lighter flywheel will have less force to exert, i.e. it will not inhibit the engine from speeding up/slowing down as much. a lighter flywheel should therefore allow MORE control and freedom to fluctuate engine speed rapidly.

the only areas where this could be at all considered a BAD thing are:

1; launching from a stop. i have heard of drag racers actually using HEAVIER flywheel assemblies to 'store up' as much energy as they can at the line by getting that FW spinning fast and then dropping the clutch at high rpm to get a nice launching effect from the tree. this works because that big heavy flywheel stores up all that energy and resists reducing speed with all of its power when it is engaged to the driveline, which help jolt the driveline up to speed faster.

2; an excessively light flywheel (as many would argue my unit above is) can make it very difficult for around town kind of driving, traffic, etc. basically the same principle as above. this is because if you do not change your driving habits the lightweight unit can be much touchier and often stall when starting from a stop as (at the same speed/rpm) it is going to exert much less force to get the car started moving.

light flywheels for the turbo car:

i have heard many argue that the lightened flywheel is a CON for a turbo setup because it reduces the load on the engine and therefore spools the turbo slower. i believe this to only have any effect when the engine is in neutral/disengaged from the driveline, while engaged to the wheels at wide open throttle the engine will be encountering the same amount of resistance, load, no matter the weight of the FW it is only a matter of how much of the power is being 'spent' where. with a lighter FW more of the power will be going to the wheels and not 'spent' spooling up that darned heavy FW. and as we know, the turbo is spooled by volume of gas(air) moving through the engine>exhaust system, which is directly effected by the load on the engine.

you wont be able to build much boost when revving your engine in neutral in the parking lot very easily anymore because there will be a fraction of the load on it. so itll be harder to show off your BOV but i think most would agree the improvement in engine response will far outweigh.