HybridZ

Info on the R230 Conversion

Tim240z

I went to SpeedWay Engineeringin Sylmar, CA yesterday and spoke to the engineer there about the R230 sideshafts. It turns out that the splines are the same as the Porsche 930 (and probably other models too) and the ford 9" axle ones as used for racing. Sorry if this is old news.

Well he quoted me $120 per axle, brand new, made out of the same material as the Nascar stuff (Rockwell 15 hardness). This does sound a little pricey considering that I've heard of guys getting their old sideshafts cut and resplined at Moser for under $100 (for both??), but this guy had concerns about the temper of the steel after being heated and presumably rehardened.

To make a long story a bit shorter, I am going to have a couple made up, and he will keep the measurements, so if anyone else wants to go this route, it'll be a phone call away. The center CV joints and housing are $76 from the Infinity dealer, so I think that after buying 4 sideshafts at the JY (to make 2), and sending in the shafts for machining, I think that the price will end up a wash, but you will end up with ALL new stuff the Speedway route....

My R230 is now happily cradled under my 240 now

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

What thinks everone...

Oh, also, are the 280 rear hubs/stub axles stronger than the 240 ones...should I change my 240 to 280 ones, or is that a waste of money and time?

Thanks...

Tim

Hey Tim,

Good to hear that news, did he happen to mention which stocks, out of the stock ones, were the best to use in terms of strength?

I think I told you on the phone the other nite that the 280Z stubs are stronger because there are more splines. Try Zbarn.com? That is where I got mine, 2 sets actually, just in case.

Owen

Owen,

No he didn't really have much info in CVs in general 'cause he doesn't really deal with them. The mainstay of his business is solid shafts for the stock car racing scene. The only reason he knew about the Porsche is because he did a few special jobs for a porsche racing team I think. I had a look at the Porsche CV joint (loose) and the setup looks almost identical to the Infinity unit. He recons that Nissan/Infinity may get their stock from Wolfsburg in Germany, same place that supplies Porsche icon_eek.gificon_cool.gif

I am feeling very confident about the strength of this setup.

Owen, how much did you pay for your 280 hubs? I found a set at a jy (whole unit, springs and all) for $75 / side. Seems a little steep?!

Tim

Guest Anonymous

Tim,

Very interested in your findings. Are you going to use 4 inboard CV's on your 2 shafts or is there a more suitable part to use on the outboard side of your shafts? Thanks Mark

Mark,

Yes I plan to purchase 2 new inboard CV units from the dealer (unless I can find aftermarket stuff). Speedway had a Porsche CV unit there which is similar, but different enough that it would mean more customization than I already have to do. I really think that the Q45 stuff will be more than adequate, but if I start breaking things I will revisit the issue at that point. I just don't have the funds to start chasing what will likely be unnecessary strengthening of the driveline. It looks like the weak point is going to be the ball cradle (or I think some call it the fence??)in the Q45 CV.That is the only part that seeemed a little flimsier than the Porsche unit.

The Q45 CVs (inner, which will be inner and outer on the Z)has a lot of travel, which I think will spread the wear pattern a lot, so they should hold up very well.

I am more worried about the mustache bar and diff mounting (front) holding up to the increased twisting forces, but I think that if the front mount is plenty beefy, the mustache bar will survive. I fabbed mine from pretty thick gauge material, with an intergral crossmember, so should be good.

Sorry to be sooo long winded icon_rolleyes.gif

Tim