HybridZ

OMFG got a R230 + axles + driveshaft for $100

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I SOOOOOO lead a charmed life.

Now if I can just figure out how to install it... Mark, finished that tech article yet? icon_wink.gif Oh yeah, gotta find some nice neighbor to help me get it out of the trunk of my little Honda. icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

Thanks. Re the driveshaft -- use it? It's a two piece drive shaft (they cut the front section). All I have is the rear section. Isn't this useful only for the 'input shaft' or whatever you call it to be grafted onto a custom drive shaft?

Sorry, blkmgk, this was an extremely rare occasion. I don't think ANY of the pick-n-pulls around here have ever had a z32 in them, let alone a TT. I'm lucky I've got good friends to tell me about these things. Found out about the car at a monthly Gateway Z Club meeting. See how useful it can be to join a Z Club? icon_smile.gif

Oh yeah, I managed to somewhat gracefully pull this octopus out of my trunk and gently fall with it onto the garage floor. icon_smile.gif I think I need to eat some more wheaties.

[ September 24, 2001: Message edited by: dewzenol ]

Dewzenol,

I have just completed the install in my 73 240Z and have a bunch of pictures of the job. I also posted some info on the sideshafts in this section under 'more R230 conversion info' or some such, which may be of interest to you. If you are interested I will e-mail the pics to, sorry no way to post to web as yet.

Tim

[ September 24, 2001: Message edited by: Tim240Z ]

Guest Anonymous

Owen,

The output flanges on the R230 were very close to the rear control arms. When I checked drive line angles I had to rraise the front of the diff, this allowed a little more clearence, also when I redrilled the mustach bar I raise the location of the holes about .25 of an inch. Between these two items clearance is not an issue now. Nicely made front diff mount Tin240. Mark

Owen,

Unfortunately, no adapters yet. As I said I was going to have Speedway Engineering make up my sideshafts, but my contact there is in the midwest for the racing for two weeks, so I am a bit stymied. The diff is completely mounted though and the fuel cell is mounted, and the roll cage is getting ordered today, hopefully in time for this weekend.

Also decided to cut out the floors and chassis rails to put in stronger ones (ala Pete). Should be done this weekend. Spent a whole afternoon scraping out that dang factory sound deadening mat stuff...never guess....found floorboard rust!!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

Now I am trying to find a Q45 driveshaft for a decent price. icon_rolleyes.gif

Tim

Ray,

Yes I did use the R180 mustache bar. I removed the top washers from the mountings to bring the flanges up enough so as to not hit the control arms (thanks Owen), I haven't measured the longitudinal alignment, but eyeballing it, seems ok. Not 'perfectly' in line with the hubs, but pretty darn close. I really dont think it warrants any further effort to line it up any better, CVs are pretty forgiving on alignment and vibrations, especially with the amount of transverse travel that the Q45 units have. With the hardened sideshafts that Speedway will be making up for me, I know that the shafts won't ever be an issue. I'll have to see if CV longevity is an issue as time goes by. icon_biggrin.gif

Tim