HybridZ

Looking for ideas for a high hp/tq rear tire...

Well, since I've pretty much gotten my fresh rings broken in, and then the E85 tune nailed down, my 275/40-17 Victoracers are toast - noticed the cords starting to show today.

The main problem is that I drive primarily on the street and want to have a tire that can be driven as such, so track-only slicks are off the table. I already realize that the horsepower and torque I'm seeing from the E85 (my guess at this point is around 500lb-ft and 650hp to the wheels) is going to overpower pretty much anything in this size. I'm also starting to admit to myself that even though I like going to the occasional autocross and want my car to handle well, the majority of "fun" that I have in the car involves straight-line acceleration.

So here's what I've been thinking about and I haven't been able to find much on the subject...

I currently have victoracers - 255/40 front and 275/40 rear, which is a combo that (all else equal) should tend towards understeer, but I needed the extra tread in the rear for longitudinal traction. I'd like to find a tire that gives up a bit of lateral traction to gain an advantage in longitudinal - but not so much that the car would be a disaster if I wanted to track it.

I'm wondering if there is a drag radial out there that could give me better straight-line traction than the victoracers (they aren't bad to begin with, so maybe not), and still be reasonably competent at a track day or autocross.

So the idea would be keep the victoracers in the front for the time being, since they aren't in bad shape and go to a drag radial in the rear and hope that I can maintain enough lateral grip from the extra width to compensate for the drag radial's longitudinal bias.

Anybody have any ideas/experience with any of the latest drag radials? Do any of them maintain acceptable lateral capability? My fear is that it would be an all or nothing proposition, and I'd end up giving up too much lateral capability in the rear and not gain much (or any) longitudinal grip over the victoracers.

Guest Gr8White
I don't know how good the lateral traction is, but everyone that drag radial races swears by MTs (Mickey Thompson) Drag Radials. Next on the list is the BFG drag radials. Apparently the Nittos are just terrible by all accounts.

I second that, the M/T drag radials are axle busters and like a very moderate burnout too, a plus with any street tire obviously. As soon as you see smoke off the tires in the mirror drive out of it....It's not that the Nittos are that bad, they are just that bad compared to the M/T drag radials...You run them alot on the street you can forget about them lasting long - but that's the caveat with any drag radial...I've cut 1.38 short times on a 275 m/t in my Mustang, my combo likes about 13 psi....

These are much better in the rain too, the ET streets (bias ply) will kill you in the rain at 30 mph. They're just a slick with a water groove that doesn't work. "Better" is relative, I don't drive any drag radial in the rain unless I'm forced to.