HybridZ

Looking for information on extraction and installation.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello all,

I have a 1982 280ZX N/A with a 5speed. I have to get a transmission out of Pick a Parts because I have an extremely small budget. I have never replaced a transmission before so I'm looking for as much information as possible. I need to know in what ways I can tell if the transmission is good or not. And how can I tell it is the right transmission? Is there anything I should know about taking it out or putting it in? All information is deeply appreciated.

Mike

Proud to live in the Land of the Free!

Mike,

Difficult to tell condition until it's running in a car, but see how well the car has been maintained(if still possible). Drain a bit of oil and look for metal and burned smell.

Pretty easy to take out:

Pull driveshaft (from Diff, then slide out of trans)

Drop the crossmember.

Pull off the gearnob and boot.

Pull the bolts from the bellhousing and slide the trans back from the engine.

Hope I didn't miss anything major...it's late.

Tim

Guest Anonymous

I checked out some transmissions yesterday and found two 82's there. One just wouldn't shift right because it was smashed from the rear. The other has 220,000 miles on it and when I pulled the drain plug it had some metal on it.

I know since I'm getting the transmission from Pick a Parts it won't be perfect. My question is how much metal is okay?

Guest Anonymous

I also wanted to that say yesterday the car stopped moving. I was backing up and the gear made a loud bang and started to grind like I was forcing it in gear without the clutch. Now it acts like it is in gear but won't go forward or backwards. Is that the throughout bearing? Will that change anything for the extraction of the transmission?

Guest Anonymous

Now I got the transmission out and I have a couple more questions.

1. Is there an easier way to get to the top bolts on the tranny? It was hell getting to one of the top ones and I know it will be close to impossible for me to put it back in.

2. Now that the trans is out of my way I can replace the clutch. When I took off the clutch and pressure plate I seen that the fly wheel has some grooves in it. So, I guess it will need resurfacing. How can I get that fly wheel off? I try to loosen the bolts, but the engine just keeps turning. There isn't enough room there to stick a screw driver there to hold it. Does anyone else know if there is any other ways to take it off?

Mike

icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gifnull

"1. Is there an easier way to get to the top bolts on the tranny? It was hell getting to one of the top ones and I know it will be close to impossible for me to put it back in."

AIR upper trans bolts should be accessible from top of engine bay as they're fwd of firewall or pretty close to it...a shorty wrench should do it.....OR the prof. trans way of often doing it is from underneath with a 30 or 36" extension on a ratchet (you still have to start it by hand, I'd start all bolts by hand), Home Depot had a 17 or 24" long 3/8's extension AIR.

"2. Now that the trans is out of my way I can replace the clutch. When I took off the clutch and pressure plate I seen that the fly wheel has some grooves in it. So, I guess it will need resurfacing. How can I get that fly wheel off? I try to loosen the bolts, but the engine just keeps turning."

Sounds like you don't have air so I'd either think harder about how to jam your flywheel (ie. lightly jack a 2x4 underneath your flywheel to keep it in place) or rent/borrow an electric impact, or and my favourite...buy a $10 impact hammer, basically a 8" or so long thick scredriver type piece that has a ratchet type end for your socket, the other end you hit with a hammer and the ratchet imparts a very small twist to the socket...worked v. sweet on frozen wheel lugs in yards and those pesky phillips brake/dust shield little screws amongst others...MAKE sure it's going the right way first...

oh yeah, why not put a breaker bar on it and turn your starter KIDDING!! had a long day here and it'll be a longgggg wknd toooo, good luck & hope that helps

Guest Anonymous

Okay, I got the transmission back on now. When I took it for a test drive

around the corner I noticed when I try to put it in fifth gear, there's

nothing there. After a little bit of searching I found fifth real close to

third. It's so close that it doesn't go over that hard part. Does anyone know

if there is a way to adjust that? How, if there is?

Thanks everyone.